Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / UT inspection of trail rails
- - By TALower (*) Date 05-22-2020 16:41
I have been dispatched to a rail yard where the client wants me to perform ultrasonic inspection on train track joints  that have been flash butt welded in a factory. The process has been described by a crew foreman as superheating the tracks and then smashing them together. It sounds similar to what happens with a Headed Stud Anchor and a Deformed Bar Anchor.

I do not know the grade of material of the train tracks. I intend to UT from the top, the flat part of the sides, the tops of the foot area and from underneath (at least on those joints that are not directly over ties or other obstructions).

If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate them.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-22-2020 16:46
There is a specification for track welding. I don't remember the number, but I remember seeing it.

Al
Parent - - By TALower (*) Date 05-22-2020 16:59
I was fairly certain there would be, but since all the welds were done elsewhere I don’t have access to certs or procedures. Nor do I have access to rejection criteria. The rails have raised letters on the sides

“136  RE  VT  RMSM  2006”

I’m fairly certain that the 136 is the grade and 2006 is the year. The others are probably manufacturers marks like on rebar.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-22-2020 18:15
Your client should be able to tell you what the acceptance criteria is. The welding standard usually tells you the test method and criteria or it typically directs you to the standard that covers testing and the acceptance criteria.

Al
Parent - By TALower (*) Date 05-22-2020 19:07
Yeah, after talking to someone who is very experienced with this type of inspection I am canceling the assignment and referring someone else. I do not have the necessary skills yet. Maybe later.

Thanks for your replies.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / UT inspection of trail rails