Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PTO welding machine
- - By TRC (***) Date 07-19-2003 00:52
Hey yall
Does anyone have any knowledge on PTO welding machines that could operate off of a 96, F-250, 4X4. I would like to have a back up for my rig in the event "Ole Gray" takes a dump.

TRC
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-19-2003 02:44
There are some at http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/about/aboutppw.html
http://www.zena.net/htdocs/FAQ/faq.shtml

I haven't ever used one but I sure would like to know if they weld very good.

I had also seen some generators that just required an 1800 RPM source but I can't find the links.

G Austin
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-19-2003 06:30
In the army (long ago) they had them- pto driven from a jeep trans. The guy in the ordinance shop who had this had no trouble making it work but he was good enough to make it look easy even if it wasn't. Welding was still alchemy to me at the time so I couldn't really tell.

All in all the generator doesn't know what is turning the shaft so other features will determine if it's nice or not.
Bill
Parent - By swellwelder (*) Date 07-20-2003 02:48
Just a note of caution if you do find a pto driven welder. Do not operate said pto by jacking a rear wheel off the ground and using that as a power source. You will do serious damage to the spider shaft and gears in the differential with just a few minutes of this type of use. I helped a guy operate his sawmill with this type of hookup, and he ended up basically tearing up every gear in the differential in maybe 15 minutes of operation.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 07-20-2003 04:10
I worked with a guy several years ago that took an old Hobart 350 amp engine drive welding machine, took the engine off, put a 3 or 4 belt sheave on it, installed it in his welding bed and ran it off another sheave that was PTO driven, from either the transmition or transfer case. I never crawled under to look, but that was the second truck he had installed it on, the first was a 2 ton with an old GMC 4-71(?) motor. It was in a 1991 Dodge one ton with a cummins when I saw it. He used a hand throttle to set the engine rpm. I would never want it but he seemed pretty happy.

JTMcC.
Parent - By kam (**) Date 07-21-2003 04:18
Years ago you used to be able to buy a PTO kit for jeeps that fit on the rear diff which was used to operate various farm impliments. Watched a show on TV awhile back on the history of jeeps and it showed guys bailing hay with them. Drawback was that I think the have to be moving in order for the PTO to turn. Just like the 8n's which dont have a live PTO.

kam
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 07-21-2003 07:31
you can buy transmissions w/ PTO's.
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 07-21-2003 10:44
Who sells them? I wouldn't mind having one for my old Dodge if they are not to expensive.

Thanks

kam
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 07-22-2003 03:07
Allison Transmissions has the PTO option, but i'm not sure what size truck it's for. I also know that the Ford Powerstroke diesel transmissions can be ordered w/ a PTO. I'm sure there are some aftermarket transmission manufacturers who make a transmissions w/ PTO's out there somewhere. I personally haven't researched it because I'm not that interested in having one. but you could search for it on the internet.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-22-2003 03:56
Crawl under there and look at the sides of the trans (and transfer case if there is one). If you find a rectangular plate roughly 4" by 6" with 6 bolts holding it on (in every case I'm familiar with) that's where a PTO goes. Common on any truck you could put a dump body on but becoming less so as electric/hydraulic becomes more popular. You just take off the plate and bolt on the PTO. That's the easy part. Then you have to mount your equipment somewhere that you can run a driveshaft from the PTO to the equipment without running into something else on the way.

Those 8n tractors (and lots of others) would turn the PTO when stopped in neutral. What they wouldn't do is allow you to stop the tractor (to allow an impending clog to clear for example) without having the PTO stop also. Once the PTO stops you usually can't get the equipment turning again without manually clearing the clog. Modern tractors have separate clutches for drive and PTO.

Bill
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 07-23-2003 03:36
Interesting. Learn something new every day. Do you know if they make a trans case that can dirrect the power shaft forward?

Thanks

kam
Parent - By swellwelder (*) Date 07-24-2003 02:58
This is gonna end up not a complete answer, but depending on the transmission you have, there are pto units that have shafts on the front and back of the unit, but I don't recall which ones right now. My guess is if you have a New Process 4 or 5 speed tranny( commonly with reverse located away from you and down) you can find a pto like previously described.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-24-2003 03:48
I have seen them with the equipment mounted foreward from the trans. It may be that you just mount the PTO upside down to go foreward, they do look symetrical. This last is pure conjecture- the only sure answer will come from the manufacturer.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PTO welding machine