Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Certification - what does that mean? by Gerald Austin
- By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-16-2020 12:07
One of our longtime contributors Gerald Austin (pipewelder_1999) penned an explanation regarding "certified vs qualified" welders and the age old debate about what that means over in the Members Only Forum at the new AWS site.... myself and others felt this was worthy of a sticky topic, so here it is.

"Anybody can "certify" anything by placing a signature certifying that something occurred.

The validity of that is based upon what they refer to, its weight, and the belief that all things were done as said.

As far as industry codes and standards go for most manufacturing, fabrication, or construction products go, each individual code or standard provides "rules" for how welder qualification testing is performed, who is responsible, and what documentation is required. In all cases I am aware of, there is a certification statement and supporting signature.

The requirements about "who" vary widely when opinions are requested and among the various codes and standards, the requirements differ.  Like with welding, meeting a requirement "on paper" does not always indicate a fitness for service and also the opposite applies.

Being a "CWI" is not a requirement by most codes and standards. That is modified in the case of anyone who tests under the requirements of the AWS Certified Welder Program which is not required by most industry codes and standards but may be referenced by local jurisdictions or customers.

A test by an ATF is documented a little differently and a written quality system exists that can be audited and is to be complied with. If someone wants to use the title "AWS certified Welder" than the AWS ATF is the route to go and a CWI (Supplied by the ATF) is required.

For other tests not performed as mentioned above, there is not requirement for a CWI in most cases but you must review the applicable code or standard. There are some cases in which a CWI isn't required but even if one were the grand poohbah of welder testing, they could not "certify" anything if they are not an employee of the manufacturer or contractor.

The myth that "certify" does somehow not apply to the record of a welder performance qualification test is incorrect and I am sure is the result of some CWI seminars and internet experts.  As I indicated above "AWS Certified Welder" means something specific. But I could also be a "Welder with Certified Document meeting the requirements of AWS D1.1 for xxxxx"

Here is a linkedin article that can shed light on more of my opinion. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/welder-qualification-testing-thoughts-gerald-austin/

If any of my information is redundant, I apologize. I just responded as-is to not get my brain all hopped up reading what others said. But again, my opinion is only that.

Best place to look is the code!

Have a great day!!" - Gerald Austin

Thank you Gerald for your contributions
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welder Certification - what does that mean? by Gerald Austin