Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Hardox welding Procedure
- - By MIGUEL TERAN (*) Date 10-26-2020 17:57
Good Morning Friends..... I hope that all are very well ยก

Anybody know , what is welding code that I can use for joint hardox to hardox plates and hardox to ASTM A 36 plates?
I'll be very thankful

Regards

Miguel
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-26-2020 19:15
You are at a dead end as far as I know. Hardox plate isn't a structural material that is approved for use by AWS D1.1. You could use D1.1 for the structural steel framing, but securing the plate to the steel framing, that's a different story.

I doubt you would be able to pass the bend tests simply because the Hardox is "hard" and won't bend to the diameters required of AWS, so qualifying the D1.1 isn't going to happen.

You can weld the Hardox to the structural steel framing using E7018. I would recommend "baking" the electrodes to ensure they are moisture free and will deposit welds nearly free of any hydrogen. To that end, I would use Lincoln Excalibur or something equivalent to E7018-H4R. 

It is good to hear from you. I hadn't heard from you in several months. I was thinking about you and your family.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By iesca (**) Date 10-26-2020 22:06
Try AWS B2.1/2.1M
Parent - By MIGUEL TERAN (*) Date 10-29-2020 05:12
Thank for you advice.
Parent - - By MIGUEL TERAN (*) Date 10-29-2020 05:11
Hello Al.....It's good to  know about you  friend, thank very much for your response.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-30-2020 13:29
Are the plates fillet welded to the structural framing? If so, qualify the WPS for fillets only. The concern would be for delayed cold cracks, so let the samples age for a few days before performing the macroetches.

So, all is good with you and the family I hope. I'm happy to hear that you are doing fine.

Al
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Hardox welding Procedure