Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What filler metal to join dissimilar material of crankshaft?
- - By qcrobert (***) Date 11-19-2020 16:19
Would like your opinion (or best guess) on what filler metal and welding process you would use to stitch weld a bushing to the flywheel of a motorcycle?

Please see attached sketch of crankshaft part assembly and PMI of flywheel and bushing.
Thank you your time
Robert
Attachment: 6FLYWHEELANALYSIS.pdf (222k)
Attachment: 5BUSHINGANALYSIS.pdf (138k)
Attachment: CRANKSHAFTPARTSASSEMBLY.pdf (86k)
Attachment: StitchWeld.jpeg (49k)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-23-2020 16:24
The PMI isn't capable of identifying the lighter elements like carbon. Good luck with that.

Al
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 11-23-2020 17:05
I'll try to get a PMI of the stitch welds if I can locate the crank as shown in the pix.  Seems this is a lost tribal knowledge of what filler metal was successfully used in the past.  The rebuilt engine has increased hp and torque and this stitch weld method aids in keeping the bushing/sleave in place.

Could a lab analyze the carbon content from a piece of the flywheel?  With knowledge of the C would one be able to recommend a suitable filler metal?

Appreciate you help, Al.
Robert Pendergrass
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-24-2020 00:39
You stand a pretty good chance if you can PMI a weld from an assembly that was used in the past. With a little luck you can identify the filler metal. The alloy of zinc and iron is troubling. The zinc melts and volatizes at a very low temperature in comparison to steel. To say it is a weird combination is an understatement. I would not be surprised to learn the bushing was sintered metal. A scan with an electron beam will tell you a lot about the manufacturing method and chemistry of the bushing. A chemical analysis of the crank wouldn't hurt for future reference.
Al
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 11-24-2020 16:02
I will contact Acuren Labs in Portland, OR about their capabilities.
Appreciate your follow up Al …. wishing you well this coming Thanksgiving.
Robert P.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-25-2020 02:09
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What filler metal to join dissimilar material of crankshaft?