Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS
- - By Richman (**) Date 12-13-2020 07:54
WPS states ONLY GTAW process is on ROOT PASS using ER-80 S, 2.4mm dia and next process til weld capping is FCAW using 1.2 dia E-81T1 wire.  As per AWS or WPS, can we allow the welder additonal multipass using GTAW AFTER root pass is completed or NOT?

Thank you, for all the answer you might share on this matter/topic.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-14-2020 12:18
You've left far too much information out to be able to definitively answer your question, such as governing code, job specs, drawing requirement, etc., etc.
However, in a general sense - The WPS is a set of instructions on how to produce a weld joint in an approved manner. The work done in accordance with an approved WPS may not be changed or modified beyond proscribed limits. Doing so creates a rejectable condition. If changes are required, the WPS must be revised in a manner that is in compliance with the governing code/specs.

Tim
Parent - - By Richman (**) Date 12-16-2020 14:16
What if the Client accept that way and allow to continue welding? What is the best thing I can do?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-16-2020 18:30
So much you have not told us.

Did the "client" approve the extra welding over a cell phone call?   Or did the Engineer of Record representing the owner give you written instructions to accommodate the change?   There is a big difference.

You have still not mentioned the specification that the work is compliant with... Just "AWS" is not enough for anybody to provide solid guidance.

Is the request based on a problem with the GTAW root not being substantial enough and the FCAW first fill pass is melting thru?

There are a number of ways to deal with this, including the way you  propose... Another would be a slightly wider root face (within limits)....  

You need to say more
Parent - By Richman (**) Date 12-18-2020 16:52
I am new at site and seen this things right away. The ref code is AWS D1.1. I haven't seen any documents approved by client but they told me it was approved before and the Inspector know already. Problem I seen so far is the wider root face around 10 mm, which doesn't conform to WPS.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 12-18-2020 15:59
What code of construction are you under? What is the thickness limit of your GTAW? Your are held to that limit for each process.
Parent - By Richman (**) Date 12-18-2020 17:00 Edited 12-18-2020 17:05
Sir, Ref code is AWS D1.1. I never read any specified information up to what the thickness limit of GTAW in the WPS. I let you know if I can find any about the limit of thickness. Many Thanks.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 12-23-2020 16:16
And we wait for the rest of the story.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS