Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Storage of Stainless Steel Materials (Spool , pipes)
- - By ilkinhasanov (*) Date 12-17-2020 10:27
Hi Gents,

Is there any specific Standard or Guideline , where I can find storage requirements for Stainless Steel materials (Spool and pipes)?

Is there any potential hazards regarding contamination of pipes/spools when they stored in the open air (sometimes under rain-on the wood pallets)??

Regards,
Ilkin Hasanov
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 12-17-2020 12:40
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 12-29-2020 14:41
ilkinhasanov,
That is typically detailed in the client specs. If there is no client specs and you don't have any inhouse standard requirements then common sense wins the day. 300 series SS is very durable and can handle some very harsh environments and rain or dirt. I would keep it up off the ground and away from Carbon Steel. Pipe racks should have protectors if they are C.S. Practice good cleaning methods for the inside of pipe if it should become muddy or dirty and keep any brackish water from the inside of the pipe. Brackish water, even utility water has the potential of MIC.  Keep the ends covered. If flanges are being used then use good flange protectors. It really does depend on what the material is being used for. Understanding what your client needs are is very essential. My thoughts. Hope it helps.
Parent - By ilkinhasanov (*) Date 01-07-2021 04:19
Jim Hughes,

Appreciated,
- By 803056 (*****) Date 12-23-2020 16:13 Edited 12-30-2020 02:51
I would like to note that welding doesn't change the chemical composition of the base metal. Welding without proper shielding on the back side can result in oxidation. The oxidation is a surface issue, i.e., only the surface that is heated to a high temperature and exposed to oxygen (air) is subject to oxidation. That will reduce the resistance to galvanic corrosion in the area of the weld.

Holding the austenitic stainless steel at a high temperature can result in sensitization. Chrome combines with carbon along the grain boundaries, thereby depleting the chrome along the grain boundaries, leading to intergranular stress corrosion and/or intergranular stress corrosion cracking in wetted environments where the electrolyte contains a halide like chloride. The use of low carbon grades or stabilized grades of austenitic stainless steel will mitigate sensitization.

Cold forming can cause martensite in austenitic stainless steels.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Storage of Stainless Steel Materials (Spool , pipes)