Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Newbie: Where to find MIG welder?
- - By brooksgnm Date 07-21-2003 21:19
Hello everybody, I'm new here, and very new to welding altogether. I have taken one MIG class at my local vocational school, and I really need a welder for my automotive hobby. Anyhoo, I'm looking to find a 175 or bigger mig welder in the $5-600 range, possibly used if you guys think that would be wise. Could anybody point me in the right direction as to where to find everything I need to get started? Thanks a lot for any help! -Mark
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 07-22-2003 00:16
Go to your local welding supply store and see what thay have to offer.
Then check out the many available on eBay.
Also, equipment auctions for closing companies are a good place to look.
Good luck!
Tim
Parent - - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-22-2003 13:26
Here are some solutions:

1.Check a Welding Supply Store that sells used welders.
2.Check your classifies in your local newspaper.
3.For autobody you can probaly find a good Mig welder even New for those kind of prices for that type of application.

John
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-22-2003 14:03
Hi Mark,
I would think for the $500-600 budget you could find a wire welder in the 175 amp range. I bought a 135 Hobart for about $399 and it came with regulators and short hoses for gas bottles(no bottles came with it). It will most likely come with self sheilding fluxcore wire already on it, at least mine did.
Give a look at some of these other suggestions that have been mentioned and you might come across a better machine for the same money.
John Wright(I wish mine had more power sometimes)
Parent - - By brooksgnm Date 07-22-2003 18:10
Thanks for the help guys! I also was wondering if you guys think a 175 would be powerful enough to do the kind of work I'll be doing? It'll be light to moderate chassis fabrication (cage installs, subframes, stuff like that) and I would also like to be able to do some sheetmetal work as well. Will a 175 be capable of that? Thanks again! -Mark
Parent - By swellwelder (*) Date 07-24-2003 03:07
When you find a mig welder you like, be sure to find out what the actual amp rating is on the machine. For instance, the Hobart 135 is actually rated at 95 amps max( if I remember right) Usually there will be a tag affixed to the machine that will list input amps, output amps at a given duty cycle(minutes out of ten that you can actually weld).
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Newbie: Where to find MIG welder?