Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 2020 changes
- - By Wyatt Ellis Date 02-24-2021 01:58
Hey there,
I'm a welding student studying the D1.1 for eventually taking the CWI test.
I recently purchased the 2020 edition and have noticed some significant changes from the 2015 edition (which I don't own). All the study recommendations I've found are referenced to previous editions (obviously/understandably). Any idea here if the exam will be offered on the 2020 edition? It would be a shame to study up on this edition only to find very different clause and paragraph numbers included in the test. Thanks!

Wyatt Ellis
Parent - By Wyatt Ellis Date 02-24-2021 02:03
Just found the answer to my question! in case anyone else is wondering the same - found this on the AWS website: As of January 1st, 2021 candidates testing to D1.1 codebook will be using the 2020 edition. If you are taking an AWS Seminar, you will be using the 2020 edition.

Wyatt Ellis
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-26-2021 14:29
I guess I will have to purchase a copy of 2020 and start getting up to speed on the great switch-a-roo. I hate that what has been engrained in our brains for decades has now been switched all around.
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 03-02-2021 11:34
John,.

I sent you an email.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-03-2021 11:53
Got it, thanks Scott
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-03-2021 16:44
Just remember the 2020 edition shouldn't be used by inspectors until the building codes catch up (that could be several years) or the Engineer specifies it in the project specifications or on the drawings.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-03-2021 20:17
Yeah but....it's hard to field questions in the forum without a copy to reference. Er
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-04-2021 14:22
HI John,

The great "Switcharoo" isn't that painful really :)

In my opinion the biggest change came in the prequalification clause, where the structure has been edited in a way that is more accommodating to actually building a prequalified WPS,,  Meaning order of operations are more straightforward rather than going back and forth within the clause to get your data.

Also...  Essential items are being moved out of footnotes and into text and tables, which to me makes a lot of sense for the users on the job and also for CWI exams.   This will remove a bunch of "trick" questions where the exam authors set traps by burying the "most correct" answer in some footnote under a figure.

2025 will actually see more substantive changes I think.  Hopefully some big improvements in prequalified sketch details (they are really working hard on that massive project) and of course the never ending attempt to catch up with UT technology, phased array etc.

Commentary and some text will be expanded in the Fabrication clause in 2025 as well if all goes smoothly.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 2020 changes