Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Diesel Or Gas
- - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-21-2003 23:17
I heard when buying an engine driven welder that if you are not doing a whole lot of work like everyday all day use with it then it is not good to buy a diesel welder but instead get yourself a gasoline welder now is this true because I always had my eyes on buying like a Big 40 Catepillar,or buying like a Vantage 500 with a Cummins engine....but if anybody has any true experience with these types of Machinery please give your honest.Thanks
Parent - By jimwelds (**) Date 07-22-2003 00:28
diesel worth every peney they cost, hold resale value,fule efficient,very dependable, Jim
Parent - By solomanb Date 07-25-2003 05:56
Stick with the blue stuff I have a pipepro, wouldnt trade for anything,well maybe not,....completly satisfied. A very easy keeper .
From the North Solomanb.....
Parent - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 07-25-2003 19:53

I have a boat with a diesel engine and have to say that these engines are awesome. Very reliable. Also, you don't have a tank of gasoline around where you're welding -- the safety factor alone would make me go diesel.

As for the not much use thing, etc. Just make sure that you let the engine warm up and cool down (i.e. let it run for a while when you crank it up) and change the oil a lot.

Chris
Parent - By SPARKYCA (**) Date 07-26-2003 21:51
The last welder we purchased for portable use is a lincoln 300d. A little more money up front ,but the fuel bill is almost half compared to a gas. Maintenance is also easier ( everything accesable from one side ). Oil changes are also half as often because of the larger oil capacity. This machine also runs as quiet as any gas machine out there. Probably the only downside to it is the weight ( 1350 lb ). A 3/4 - 1 ton required , unless trailer mounted. Fire any questions my way and I'll try to help. Regards - WS
Parent - - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-27-2003 00:05
Thanks for the help.I always use my friends Ranger it is gas but it doesn't give him or me any problems but I wanted to buy my own like a Miller Air Pak
Parent - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-27-2003 15:36
I will buy a Miller because Miller Welders are often much easier to repair than Lincoln.I have had much experience with Lincolns but I would rather work on a Miller.Much Easier :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Diesel Or Gas