Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Multi-process PWPS
- - By twistedmetal208 (*) Date 06-14-2021 22:52 Edited 06-18-2021 21:33
Hello everybody, first post on here after stalking this forum for years. Glad to be here, I have gotten so much good information just observing from the outside I am looking forward to both asking my own questions and contributing to the discussion as well. Now down to business.

I am being asked about performing a CJP between some 3/4" thick stainless plates that will be put together to make, essentially a tube shape, onto a 2" thick stainless base plate with a backer and then UT'd after. Our shop foreman wants to use GTAW to weld the root pass and then GMAW or FCAW for the fill passes. When asking about just using GMAW or FCAW for the entire thing the shop foreman mentioned weird reflectors during the UT process, so he wants to do GTAW to keep the root pass clean to avoid this and I can't argue against that since I have seen it too.

Looking in D1.6 I see that GTAW, GMAW & FCAW, all have prequalified groove weld joint details. TC-L4a for GTAW and TC-U4a-GF for GMAW and FCAW.

So now down to the actual question, can I make a multi-process PWPS or would I need to perform a PQR and then make a WPS based on that since I am mixing processes?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated guys, thanks.

LD
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 06-15-2021 13:02
David, Clause 6, particularly 6.1.4.2 may be helpful...

6.4  Essential  Variables

6.4.1  Welding  Procedure  Essential  Variables. 

The  Welding  Procedure  Specification  (WPS)  shall  document  all essential  variables  and  supplementary  essential  variables,  when  required,  as  summarized  in  Tables  6.1  and  6.2.  When  a welding procedure includes multiple processes, the  WPS shall include essential variables applicable to each process.

When  multiple  processes  are  used  for  qualification  of  a  single  welding  procedure,  they  may  be  used  individually,  but  only within the qualification and thickness limits of  Tables 6.1, 6.2 (when applicable), and 6.3 for that process.

6.4.1.1  Changes  to  Essential  Variables.  Any  change  to  an  essential  variable  beyond  the  limits  set  forth  in  Table 6.1,  Table 6.2, or  Table 6.3, as applicable, shall require qualification of a new or revised welding procedure.

6.4.1.2  Welding Procedures with Multiple Processes. When a welding procedure has been qualified using multiple processes  to  produce  a  single  test  weld,  separate  WPSs  for  each  process  may  be  created  for  each  process.  Essential  variable limits  of  Tables  6.1  and  6.2,  as  applicable,  and  thickness  limits  of  Table  6.3,  shall  apply  for  each  process  individually.

(1)  When  qualifying  a  WPS  involving  multiple  welding  processes  to  be  deposited  in  a  single  joint,  the  approximate thickness  of  the  deposited  weld  metal  from  each  process  and  for  each  set  of  essential  variables,  and  supplemental  essential variables when applicable, shall be recorded on the supporting PQR.

(2)  The  tension,  bend,  notch  toughness,  and  any  other  mechanical  test  specimens  shall  include  weld  metal  from  each welding process and combination of essential variables, and supplemental essential variables when applicable.
Parent - - By twistedmetal208 (*) Date 06-18-2021 21:32
Excellent that is what I was looking for... to be honest I am kind of embarrassed I did not find it right away, it is very obvious in D1.6.

I also had in mind the same question regarding D1.1-2020 and I do not see anything specific on it other than 5.5.5 which refers to a GMAW root pass with SAW on top of it.  Specifically I would be interested in a GMAW root pass with FCAW cap (first with backer and one without backer and backgouged and finished with FCAW). The statement in 5.2.2 "Combination of WPSs. A combination of qualified and prequalified WPSs may be used without qualification of the combination, provided the limitation of essential variables applicable to each process is observed." This sounds like it is intended to mean PWPS-WPS is indicated unless it is read as a combination of any combination of those, such as a WPS-WPS, a PWPS-WPS, or a PWPS-PWPS. The 5.5.5 clause that has the specific combination of GMAW-SAW makes me think it is intended as the former and not the latter.

Let me know what you think.

LD
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 06-21-2021 17:21
If you’re using two prequalified D1.1 processes, and you don’t exceed the essential variables limitations for each process, you should be good to go.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Multi-process PWPS