Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CalTrans: welder 3 year expiration
- - By SheWelder (*) Date 08-04-2021 13:19
for the life of me, I can't find where CalTrans says that the welder qualification expires in 3 years...  anybody?
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 08-05-2021 14:41
Sounds like a reference to qualification requirements for UT personnel, which is effective for three years.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-06-2021 12:44
I've done a bit of CAL DOT work in the last couple of years.

They do require that 3 year performance qualification thing, and a solid continuity log.

But their paper trail of specifications is ENORMOUS !

When you bid work you should be assigned a CAL dot or METS contact/liaison.   That person should be supplying the documentation and be able to respond to questions for clarification.

I've had mixed results with this particular issue.   On one project we had to requalify a few welders, and on another project they accepted CWB check tests which occur every 2 years.

If you are not using prequalified WPS's they will also need to witness any PQR's that are used in the project.  Old PQR's will not be accepted unless they personally witnessed them.   Don't let this intimidate you as they actually will pay for their reps to go wherever this occurs.

You just need to understand these things up front so you can bid accordingly.
Parent - By SmartWeld (*) Date 12-15-2021 05:22
WeldTrace is a welding management software (https://www.weldtrace.com). It automatically maintains continuity for every welder from weld data entered in projects. The continuity logs can be generated as a PDF file for every weld a welder has produced. It is totally auditable.

More information in their help center article about this: https://support.weldtrace.com/portal/en/kb/articles/welder-continuity.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-12-2021 01:21
I agree with Lawrence. 

When dealing with CA entities you are generally supplied with all documentation needed to complete the work according to their requirements.  Now days they are often supplied on websites by download.  But someone in your organization should have all the information you need.

City of LA, OSHPD, CalTrans, and others all require requalification at tight intervals.  Three years is pretty common. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CalTrans: welder 3 year expiration