Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Effect of air forced cooling on Austenitic SS
- - By ilkinhasanov (*) Date 10-05-2021 11:04
HI Gents,

Could you please advise me, which type of effect on has an inter-pass air forced cooling on austenitic stainless steel weld metal microstructure and mechanical propensities ?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-05-2021 16:51
Good Day,

Hopefully some of our Stainless experts will chime in soon. 

Meantime, this will depend upon many factors.  Not the least of which is the exact grade of SS, the thickness, the heat from which air forced cooling was commenced, how fast the temp was pushed from point A to point B, and others I probably have not mentioned. 

The experts will be able to give you better information with some additional facts presented by yourself. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-08-2021 15:20
If you are welding a martensitic stainless, you are air quenching and increasing hardness.

If you are welding a ferritic stainless, there is typically insufficient carbon to increase the hardness to a great extent.

If you are welding an austenitic stainless steel, the carbon is typically low and the microstructure is typically austenitic once solidification is complete. So, again, there isn't an increase in hardness even when cooling rates are increased. I often cool the BM adjacent to the weld in hopes of minimizing sensitization.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Effect of air forced cooling on Austenitic SS