Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.8 - Restricted Access
- - By Distilled (**) Date 06-13-2022 06:49
Hey all, need a hand.

I processed a restricted access coupon over the weekend and I'm trying to put the supplemental welder qualification documentation together. 

D1.8:2016 is pretty clear that all essential variables, listed in D1.1 are required with the addition of; (1) Type of backing, if used. (2) Maximum root opening (if steel backing is not used). (3) Minimum groove angle (if steel backing is not used). (4) Maximum deposition rate. 

The Welder used steel backing, so the minimum groove angle and maximum root opening doesn't apply in this particular situation,  but in an effort to assemble my template I went looking for these limitations as they would apply to the Welder qual.  I can't find anywhere the Welder's allowable limit for minimum groove angle or maximum root opening based on a coupon welded under a specific WPS. 

What am I missing here??  I was expecting to find a table or some sort of reference that dictates a Welder qual limitation based on the as-fit joint geometry used for the test coupon.

Lastly I go to the commentary (C-D3.2.2 Groove Weld Detail) and it says that the groove weld detail prescribed by this provision is used to qualify the welder for any groove weld geometry to be used in production.  ......then why is a maximum root opening and minimum groove angle required on the documents?

Thanks in advance!!
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 06-13-2022 20:55
For the restricted access test, D3.2.2 states “The groove weld detail shall use a 3/8” root opening, +/- 1/16. The included angle shall be 30°, +/- 5° "

The allowable limits, with regard to the minimum groove angle and the maximum root opening, i.e. "as fit" apply when a prequalified CJP joint designation is used in production, which indicates these +/- tolerances. They are not applicable on the restricted access test.

With regard to the "maximum root opening and minimum groove angle required on the (qualification) documents", you might include the tolerances... 5/16 - 7/16" root opening, and a 25° - 35° groove angle.... or just reference the requirements of D3.2.2

Just a thought
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.8 - Restricted Access