Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / NEAR SIDE/ FAR SIDE TERM
- - By brownl21 (*) Date 04-14-2023 21:27
Are the terms "near side" and "far side" non-standard terms?  I'm not finding them in A3.0 so that means it a non-standard term, right?

I came across the reference in welding tail note asking for MT.  My assumption would be arrow side is near side and other side is far side.  Is this a standard enough non-standard term for someone to confirm my assumption?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-17-2023 11:18
A quick glance in A2.4 didn't help either and it wasn't listed in the index of D1.1...A2.4 merely distinguishes "Arrow" and "Other" sides of the joint. I would assume "NS" and "FS" but you know what they say about assuming.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-17-2023 15:27
Be very careful here.

This may be a question that supports an inquiry upstream to the detailer or engineer.

ENs and ISO use the terms "near side"  & "far side" with weld and inspection symbols.

Here is a link to some guidance for ENs
https://roymech.org/Useful_Tables/Drawing/Weld.html

If your stuffs were detailed outside of the US this might come into play.
Parent - By sandeepkumar63 (*) Date 08-05-2023 05:26
You are right. Near side and far side are non-standard term as per AWS A2.4. The right term is arrow side and other side welding symbol. However, I have seen people who working with EN standards, using this term.

The Arrow Side Welding Symbol, also known as the “near side” or “front side” symbol, is used to indicate that a weld is to be placed on the side of the joint that the arrow is pointing to. This is important for welders to understand which side of the joint needs to be welded.

Reference: https://learnweldingsymbols.com/mastering-arrow-side-other-side-welding-symbols/
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / NEAR SIDE/ FAR SIDE TERM