Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Qualifying Fillet WPS by way of CJP groove?
- - By Seymour86 (*) Date 09-10-2023 20:06
Hi All,
I am looking to expand our WPS library at work and I came across this question.

Code: AWS D1.1 2020
Process: GTAW

I do not see anything in clause 6 Part B specifically stating that qualifying a WPS for a CJP groove weld will qualify a fillet weld. However, 6.12.1 states "Qualification of a CJP WPS in accordance with Clause 6 shall qualify PJP groove welds conforming to Figure 5.2 provided the essential variables for the qualified CJP WPS are within the limits listed in Tables 6.5 and 6.6 (when applicable).”

That being said, qualifying a CJP would give us a PJP. Going further down my rabbit hole, 6.12(4) states “Any PJP qualification shall also qualify any fillet weld size on any thickness.”

My question is, would this justification hold water If the goal was to use A PQR for a CJP groove weld to write a WPS for a fillet for AWS D1.1?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-11-2023 12:03
Your deduction in the "rabbit hole" of your post is correct.

Also refer to  Table 6.1 for procedure qualification
See Table 6.10 for performance qualification.
Parent - By Seymour86 (*) Date 09-13-2023 15:29
Im literally smacking my forehead right now. I don't know how I missed Table 6.1. In an attempt to protect my ego, I'm telling myself that I had the PDF rotated and the last section labeled "fillet" got cut off even though I know thats not the case. Thank you for the reply Lawrence.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Qualifying Fillet WPS by way of CJP groove?