Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASNT-SNT-TC-1A:2020 Section 12.0 Need some clarification
- - By PFI (**) Date 10-02-2023 12:54
Hello All,

I have been around a few times with the section, as written in the standard ...

12.1 All levels of the NDT personnel shall be recertified periodically in accordance with one of the following criteria:
     12.1.1 Evidence of continuing satisfactory technical performance.
     12.1.2 Reexamination in those portions of the examination in section 8 deemed necessary by the employer's NDT level 3

12.2 The recommended maximum recertification intervals are 5 years for all certification levels. certifications expire on the last day of the month of certification.

My Questions ...

1) I understand this to read that a recertification exam is NOT required if the NDT inspector is performing in the methods satisfactorily and is performing those methods at least once in the 5 years. 

2) correct me if I'm wrong, I see 12.1 describing the ways the recertification can be achieved and 12.2 puts the maximum time before recertification.

I do understand these also say "recommended" and not "shall" and also it's not good practice to have a person only perform once in 5 years.  I'm just trying to confirm my understanding of the section.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-03-2023 12:13
I view this as "coaching" or recommending best practices that in one way or another SHALL be placed into the "practices" or quality system of the operator.

I think there "shall" be a method of validation that is tracible.  But the method is to be selected by the user to obtain desired performance.

"Evidence" is the key word here.

This is only my opinion.
Parent - - By PFI (**) Date 10-03-2023 16:43
Lawrence,

Thank you. 

I believe I understand the intent of the section.  ASME provides guidance as to 2 ways this should or can be achieved and provides some boundaries within the section.  To me, If an NDT inspector is performing within his/her certified methods regularly and the performance is not unsatisfactory then meeting the intent of continuity is reasonable.  If not regularly performing (I would say outside of 12 months) then he/she should be required to re-test.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-30-2023 18:24 Edited 10-30-2023 18:28
Recertification by the employer every five years? Yup, as of the 2020 edition, every five years for all levels of certification.  If the employer's written practice states the test method need only be performed once every five years, then, yes, if your customer reads the written practice and goes along with the conditions of recertification listed by the employer's written practice.

Before jumping into the deep puddle with both feet, remember that a Level III has to approve the written practice (provision 5.5). On top of that, the customer typically has to agree to the provisions of the written practice.

This might just be me, but if someone has gone five years without performing the test method, I would be hard pressed to (1) agree to the written practice that permitted it or (2) sign the certification if delegated that responsibility.

The customer always has the last word in such matters.

And people wonder why other folks look at SNT-TC-1A with suspicion. Folks, you have to read the contractor's written practice.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASNT-SNT-TC-1A:2020 Section 12.0 Need some clarification