Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Online Welding Quiz
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-23-2003 19:59
Forum Users

I have a page at http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/QuizRev1.htm that has 20 welding related questions that I would like any that are interested to look at and correct me for any mis-information that may be present.

I intend to add more once I develop a better method for generating the quizes randomly. The page is hard coded and runs on the client. The page can be saved and used by anyone offline.

The future for this is a page where visitiors could take a random generated welding/inspection related quiz and the results of the average test results could be viewed. I would also include references for where I found the information (The current page is out of my head)

Also thought about allowing visitors to add questions and they would be added to the database that populates the random set of test questions.

The technology to do this test generation is on the internet and free if you are interested, let me know and I will send you the link.

Any questions and answers that are already made up would be very welcome.

Forgive the spelling errors. I had already generated the code that checks the answers and If I correct the spelling, the code must be changed.

Y'all have a good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 07-23-2003 22:22
It seems like the hardest part about writing or answering questions about welding, is there are many ambiguous questions, but the ones on your page were pretty clear I thought. There was only one that I thought had more than one right answer, was the one about what is hard to detect by X-ray inspection. I answered "lack-of-fusion" because it is also hard to detect, hence ASME IX does not allow short-circuit qualification by X-ray, only bend tests.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-24-2003 03:41
You have a point about the LOF. I will probably change that to slag.

Thanks

G Austin
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-24-2003 06:38
Hello Plpewelder 1999!
I gotta congratulate you for having the vision and talent that you have meshed together in order to create this potentially fantastic educational tool!!!
I envy the future students for having access to such a wonderful educational tool available to them! I only regret that, when I and others were younger, that we sure could've used a method of study such as this one back then!!! Especially for free!!!

Sign me up!!! I would like to contribute in the growth of this concept if possible!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 08-16-2003 05:44
Gerald-

Good test-had fun taking it!

Good welding tests are hard to find-I know as I am heavily involved in the local vo-tech community.

Good Luck

brande
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-16-2003 11:25
Glad you liked it.

I'm doing one that records the scores in a database and allows them to be reviewed later. I'll let you know when I make it a little more presentable.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Mesabi Ranger Date 08-18-2003 19:18
Great little quiz! Keep up the good work.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-18-2003 22:58
Thanks

:)
Parent - By waps75 (*) Date 08-27-2003 02:02
very thoughtfull and informative,your quiz program is very helpfull to a student like me,pipewelder.only last month I thought of a quiz like this, being on this forum would help a lot.keep it up Sir,with GOD's guidance we (welders)can "weld" the world together.nuff respect.
Parent - - By sayeeprasad (*) Date 09-07-2003 11:00
What about the question given below :

GTAW welding of aluminum can be performed with
DCRP
DCSP
ACHF
2 and 3
All the above

I thought AC would have been the correct reply! Looks like you already made the changes that GRoberts mentioned about, because I couldn't see LOF in the current version
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-07-2003 11:24
You can actually weld aluminum with all three of the above. I have done it with DCSP , and AC. AC is usually the preferred method. I like DCSP myself. All three current/polarity types are mentioned in various welding books.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By sayeeprasad (*) Date 09-07-2003 12:04
Gerald
Just a discussion, but doesn't theory say that using DCRP for TIG/GTAW welding would burn out the Tungsten electrodes. DCSP can be used but the stirring action which breaks the oxide layer for reactive metals is not possible with DCSP. Or thats what theory says. In whcih case AC is the best process because of the 50% SP and 50% RP cycles. Because of the material properties, the AC tends to have the cycle modified introducing a DC component in the AC and hence a DC suppressor required. All this is theoritical but the same was also applied when I had Aluminium tanks welded for ballistic missile fuel transportback in India. We used double operator techniqur with GTAW welding in that case if I remember correctly....
Parent - By sayeeprasad (*) Date 09-07-2003 12:05
And please give a few references which allow DCSP and DCRP for Al welding for my reference....
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-07-2003 13:21
The dcrp is used in specialized situations with very large electrodes from what I've read, In the AWS Welding Handbook Volume 3 the paramters for DCRP GTAW are:

1.3 MM Material Thickness, 4.8 mm Electrode, and 70 to 90 amps.

This is contained in table 1.26

I've never actually used this process but would like to try it. Obviously the cleaning would be excellent.

The DCSP welding that I have done has been on electrical enlosures in the field. These required very good cleaning prior to welding and produced welds with lightly adhering black smoke. This proccess is referrred to in the same Welding Handbook tables 1.18 and other surrounding tables.

I haven't ever welded any critical type aluminum so obviously there may be advantages to each process. BUT all can be used to weld aluminum.

I used a square wave machine a couple of years ago that was GREAT compared to ACHF.

But as far as the question goes, thats what I based the question on.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - By sayeeprasad (*) Date 09-08-2003 04:58
Thanks Gerald!!
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 11-15-2003 16:11
And I thought I knew all the answers ( I didn't). Good test; makes a person think.
Regards,
Vonash
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-17-2003 01:03
Glad you liked it. I hope to do another soon.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By mike karns Date 02-14-2005 16:37
Great test long time since I had to take a test like that. have been mainly welding air craft parts for military last 30 years.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-14-2005 16:47
Thanks for the comments.

Have a nice day

GA
Parent - - By gsi (**) Date 02-15-2005 17:29
Great Job. I slipped up on a couple. Looking forward to upcoming Quizes.
Dave
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-16-2005 11:23
Thanks.
I enjoyed making that one but haven't got around to the next one. I want to do something that records the results to track what questions get answered correctly most or least often.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Online Welding Quiz