Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Why does TIG cost more than MIG?
- - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 07-24-2003 01:54

I don't get why TIG is so expensive. Isn't a TIG machine really just a MIG except with a collet instead of a (more complex) wire feed?

Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-24-2003 04:02
Actually Tig is cheaper than mig as far as the equipment goes. You can buy a regular constant current stick machine with DC output and spend about $60.00 for a tig rig and get a bottle and flowmeter and your ready to go.

I bought a power source on ebay for about $150.0 and made the welds shown at http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/Dragster80Pics.htm .

If you buy a tig machine with a bunch of bells and whistles you have to pay for them. Many welds are made in the field with regular stick machines with a bottle of argon and a tig rig. I have welded carbon Steel, 300/400 series SS, Duplex Stainless, Inconel 625 and 825, and aluminum all with a stick machine set up with a tig rig. Scratch start, No ACHF, no remote control.

Hope this helps some.

Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 07-24-2003 11:10
To add to Mr. Austins reply, a tig is just a SMAW (CC) machine with a GTA equipment added. Not a GMAW (CV).
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Why does TIG cost more than MIG?