Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pre-qualified fillet welds
- - By farland Date 07-24-2003 15:20
I have to make up a WPS for a plain fillet weld using 1/2" steel. I can't seem to locate a pre-qualified procedure in D1.1. It seems odd to me that such a common joint is not listed. It's not a CPJ and all the PJP's have some sort of a bevel or groove. I really do not want to make a PQR if I don't have to. Can anybody come up with a answer if there is something I am missing or something I can use.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-24-2003 15:29
See Paragraph 3.9 which refers to figure 2.1 and para 2.4.5 in D1.1 98. These paragraphs may differ in 2002 D1.1.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By lewie15689 (*) Date 07-24-2003 19:17
In the 2002 D1.1 it's para. 3.9, Table 3.7, Figures 2.1, 2.15, 3.2 & 2.5.
I realize doing a WPS saves time and money, but a fillet weld test isn't that big of a deal either. Off the top of my head , it amounts to a T joint with a single pass of the max size fillet on one side and min multiple pass size fillet used in construction on other side.
See Figure 4.19.
Hope this helps

Lew
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-25-2003 16:21
Fillet welds as a joint configuration are prequalified and do not require testing to write a procedure. Essentially you have big ones, small ones, straight ones and skewed ones but fillets are pretty much the same otherwise. The references to section 2 are primarily for design concerns and as such are more of a concern for the people who are specifying the weld size.
You will need to review D1.1 to make sure you are in compliance with prequalification provisions but writing the WPS is fairly easy. Make sure the parameters, shielding gas(if applicable) and so forth are within manufacturer's recommendations and put them on your procedure along with a sketch of the weld joint. It would be a good idea to make weld mock-ups so you know what you are writing down can actually be done but you shouldn't have a lot of difficulty with it.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-25-2003 19:48
This is only a suggestion, so please take it as such. If you go ahead and test a welder in a 2G (horizontal)position and they pass, then the welder will be qualified for 1F and 2F position fillet welds automatically along with 1G and 2G position groove welds. Plus it covers him/her on 24" diam. pipe and greater. If you use 1" thick plate for the coupon then they will be qualified for 1/8" to unlimited thicknesses as well. All of this would be prequalified and that means no testing of WPS's, only welders. Saves $$$$$'s. Most all shop work can be done in the flat or horizontal positions by turning the work piece to acheive the proper positions for welding. If the piece is so large or for some reason that it can't be turned then you have no choice but to qualify in those positions as well.
Hope this will help,
John Wright
Parent - - By lewie15689 (*) Date 07-28-2003 19:26
John,
As I reviewed proformance qualification, positions qualified,D1.1. A fillet welded 2F, qualifies the welder for 1F & 2F. It does not automatically qualify the welder for 1G & 2G.
Now a 2G qualifies for 1F,2F & 1G. It that what you meant?

Lew
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-28-2003 20:26
Hi Lew,
Yeah, that's what I was trying to convey :)
(2G test coupon to qualify for 1F,2F,1G,2G and Pipe 24"OD & greater OD).
Sorry for the poorly worded reply,
John Wright

Parent - By elkendo Date 07-29-2003 00:51
Although it is pretty easy to write a prequalified weld procedure for fillet welds.

You can also buy prequalified weld procedures from AWS. Checkout their publications catolog or go to the website and look for the process and materials you are working with.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pre-qualified fillet welds