Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Does anybody have 440 capabilities?
- - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-27-2003 22:09
You must have it to run 3 phase but is the bill really expensive or is it cheaper to run engine driven?
Parent - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-27-2003 22:48
come on big welders were all certified with big shops now come on you penney pinching tight wads can't play with the big toys?
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 07-28-2003 05:05
Running three phase 440 vac is always much cheaper than gas or diesel.

Give me particulars, and I can show you how much cheaper.

Keep in mind, too, that three phase converters are easily fabricated to get three phase power from single phase.(although line voltage stays the same-unless a step up transformer is employed).

Good Luck

brande
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-28-2003 11:45
Roto-phase(sp?) makes a 3 phase converter for lots of applications(light or heavy). My father-in-law uses one to power his whole machine shop due do the fact he lives so far off the main roads. He runs his big lathes, end mills, and a host of other power hungry equipment with a single phase converter. Look them up with a search on google or one of those search engines, they do work as advertised.
John Wright
Parent - By brande (***) Date 07-30-2003 06:51
Make your own and save a ton of money. Many plans are available on the internet, from basic to Cadillac.

Buy what you need and quit making Roto Phase fat!!

Good Luck

brande
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-28-2003 11:54
Hello again Brande!
You mentioned in one of your posts that you work for Beckwith, am I correct?
If you do, do you work near Monroeville? I ask this because, if you do then, we are practically neighbors!!!

One last question, do you attend any of the Pittsburgh section meetings?
I missed the last one but, I attended the one where the Harley Davidson people were guests... a good one if you're into motorcycles!

Not to get off the topic but, Inverter power sources offer even greater energy efficiency when using "440" VAC, three phase input as compared to your older "conventional" power sources.
I'm sure that you know that but, I just thought that it would'nt hurt to mention this also. I agree with your suggestions wholeheartedly!!!

Looking foward to meeting you at the next meeting!
I'll be sitting near Don K. nicknamed "Doc"...

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By JeramyK Date 07-28-2003 12:45
Hey, I live in Monroeville ! :) Funny how small of a world it is sometimes.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-28-2003 13:05
Weldcome JeramyK!!!

I'm out here in Robinson, by the airport!! a small world indeed!!!

Do you attend any of the AWS Pittsburgh section meetings?
I try to but, sometimes my health does'nt agree with the schedules!!!

Hope to read more from any of the local folks out there!!!

Respectfully,

Parent - - By JeramyK Date 07-28-2003 13:30
Hi SSBN727 :

I've never attended any of the AWS meetings. Honestly, I just recently really started getting into welding. What started out as a few patches on my 79 Camaro turned out to ideas for other projects. I really don't consider myself much more than a hobbyist at this point. But I've been having some thoughts about taking some classes to become familiar with some other forms of welding. However my wife and I are expecting our first child in Dec. so the classes may have to wait. I'll need to focus on sleep. :)

-Jeramy
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-28-2003 14:19
Congrats to you and your wife JeramyK!!!

I do'nt know if you ever heard of New Century Careers before but anyway, they offer "free" (not totally but, nothing is free anymore anyway) entry level welder training.

Their telephone# is: 412-258-6621,
Their website is: www.ncsquared.com

Check them out! Maybe they'll have something to offer you.

Good luck in your future!!!

Respectfully,

Parent - - By brande (***) Date 07-30-2003 06:49
SSBN-

No I don't work directly for Beckwith, although I , until recently, did a lot of work with them, mostly in Blawnox, but Cranberry, Murrysville as well.

Yes, I was at the Pittsburgh Section Harley Davidson meeting. Really enjoyed it. Really let me know how outdated my 1982 Superglide is!!

I don't live too far from Monroeville. Leechburg, they call it.

If you are in the local area, let me know. I'd be happy to meet up for some story swapping sometime.

Contact me at brad@stargate.net

Talk to you soon.

Good Luck

brande
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-30-2003 11:39
Hey brande!

Thanks for your reply... Like jeramyK said earlier:"small world is'nt it?"

Be glad to meet up sometime soon!!! I got some doctor appointments coming up but, after that, I'll be back to my normal self especially when I do'nt have to worry about what the Doc has to say...
You'd think that after all I've been through healthwise that nothing could surprise me by now... well- that's something I guess I'll never get used to but, do'nt worry because, I'm not planning on leaving this wonderful life yet at least according to my Doc!!!

I'll send you an e-mail as soon as the appointments are finished and I can get on with my life!!!

Respectfully,

P.S. Hey brande! Did'nt the news do an article about a town just like yours recently? Man is that one heck of a name for a town!!!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-31-2003 03:56
440 is only one of the voltages 3 phase is supplied at. 208, 220, and 277 are others. Depends on your needs and the power company. Various connections also, delta, wye, 4 wire, 3 wire... Be careful, the supply and the load should match. Many devices can be rewired inside to match the supply.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Does anybody have 440 capabilities?