Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / That is all I hear is Mig Mig Mig
- - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-27-2003 22:29
I think I figured out why everybody's doing it and it's because it's the easiest process to learn

"ouch" ;|
Parent - - By HappyWelder (*) Date 07-27-2003 22:34
I think it is also one of the most versatile and economic processes out there, and I have yet to se a SMAW robot.

Also, whe welding HSLA-steels I would prefer GAMW or FCAW because SMAW electrodes require baking and rebaking or the welded joint could end up full of cracks.

Also, SMAW means grinding after each new stick and slag-removal. My experience that for most applications it is an expensive and troublesome process compared to GMAW.

/Happy
Parent - - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-27-2003 22:39
Dammit I am sorry if I offended any of you Tiggers or Miggers out there but I just love the smell of a fresh rod in the morning.It's easier.Why carry that big ol clumsy argon bottle around and fool with contact tips and nozzles,and changing out wire and so on and so on it's just that i've had so many troubles with Flux Core and Mig in the past just doing work around the house and shop.but if all you people like it then keep on trucking
Parent - By HappyWelder (*) Date 07-27-2003 22:42
SMAW DO have it´s benefits. Bottles are heavy and sticks can be tailor-made in smaller quantities since no wire-drawing is needed.

Never the less, if we are talking production I'd rather have a convinient and productive process than fumes and slags.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / That is all I hear is Mig Mig Mig