Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I could use some help
- - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-28-2003 02:00
I got a 10 lb propane tank that i use in my shop for heating purposes only in the winter when it gets cold but hey since i got a grade t hose then i was wondering how easy it would be to use oxy propane....i know already it takes more oxygen because propane is much colder than acetylene and i got a propane tip.but does anybody know how much a 10 lb propane tank would last because i never have used propane but when i go to salvage yards they got propane tanks that look similar in size but i don't know that's why i would like someone to please give me a clue.......Thank you all very much......Any Help is very much appreciated
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-28-2003 02:24
If you are comparing to Oxy/Acet the oxy consumption is not that much greater for cutting. it just seems like it because the Propane last longer.

Takes a little getting use to the slower preheat, but much easer to handle.
Parent - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-28-2003 02:33
thanks ron
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 07-28-2003 03:43
Oxy propane does not use more O2, if the regulators are set correctly.
Yes, oxy propane is colder than oxy acetylene, but it has more than enough heat to cut steel. Propanes higher BTU value (the ability to transfer heat) helps as well.
Using oxy propane over oxy acetylene can give a reduction in cost of 30% or more.
Yes, the cut needs a few more seconds to start, but how many of us make enough cuts during the day to make a real difference. Cuts with oxy propane may take as long a 4-6 seconds longer to start, but you will find a somewhat smaller kerf and less gas used. If you figure 100 cuts a day with an average 5 second increase in starting time, you are still looking at an 8 minute difference.
The slag from oxy propane is also much easier to remove.
You will find the same benefits from oxy natural gas as well.
Also-oxy propane does not "burn back" as easily (won't say it can't be done, but it is tough if you are treating your equipment properly and is not as hard on your torch equipment as oxy acetylene.

Give it a try-an honest try.

If there was a cheaper way to cut, you woudn't see all the scrappers on oxy propane.

If you still havetrouble, let me know directly with particulars.

Good Luck
brande
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 07-28-2003 04:00
cool
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-28-2003 12:00
We use oxy/mapp for cutting and heat cambering in our shop, it too needs a few more seconds of preheat than oxy/act to start cutting. We cut column flanges that are four(W14x550)and five(W14x730) inches thick on double bevels for full pen welding to 6 1/2 inch thick base plates and it does need a few more seconds to preheat that thicker material to get started cutting.
Mapp is also cheaper than Act.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I could use some help