Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat effect on CAST aluminum.
- - By Dirtrider (**) Date 07-28-2003 16:33
This is sort of off topic, but wanted to find out if the same % of strength loss was the same for cast aluminum as it is for say 6061. I was considering powder coating some motorcycle parts, some more critical than others, and obviously don't want to do ANYTHING that would cause a safety issue. Heat input would be 350-400* for 20 minutes.
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 07-28-2003 18:49
Hi Dirtrider

It all depends on the particular alloy that you have. If you have a non-heat treatable alloy, then there should be little problem in performing the heating cycle. If you do however have a precipitation hardened alloy, then you will cause over-aging, resulting in strength loss.

This is not a streight answer, but is as good as I can give under the circumstances. If you can give the alloy designation or composition, then we will probably be able to give a better answer.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Fabristruct Solutions
Parent - - By Dirtrider (**) Date 07-28-2003 18:59
The exact composition of the parts in question is unknown. The part I'm concerned with is the triple clamp, the clamps that hold the forks and attach them to the motorcycle. Obviously this is a critical area that you don't need problems with. I think I'll just leave them alone rather than risk a problem.

Thank you for your response.

Scott
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-28-2003 19:06
Can you contact the motorcycle dealer in your area and find out what type of material is used to machine out triple trees on their brand of bike?
Just a thought,
John Wright
Parent - By brande (***) Date 07-30-2003 05:23
6061 is not available as a casting alloy.
However, most castings are silcon based and as such may be heat treated.
In reality, however, many castings are not. Even when wewlding on heat treated aluminum like 6061-T6, we find little problem when interpass temps stay in the 350 degree or so range.
Most motorcycle parts are basically lo-buck castings (there are a few exceptions).
In my experience, the powder coat temp you anticipate shouldn't hurt much.
If you want a real authoratative opinion that you can show your insurance guy, get the alloy type you are doing. Then contact thhe Aluminum Association in Washington,DC.
They ARE the final word in aluminum!

Hope this helps!

Good Luck

brande
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Heat effect on CAST aluminum.