Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Matching base metal and filler metal
- - By RButler (*) Date 07-29-2003 12:19

Does anyone know of a software that is available where you can insert in the chemical composition of a base metal and the software will find you the closest match for the correct filler metal?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-29-2003 13:05
That is a great question. I'll keep posted and see what replies you get to your question.
Thanks for asking,
John Wright
Parent - By RButler (*) Date 07-29-2003 13:24
Thanks John for the response, I work for a custom pump company and we have castings that are not always the normal composition. One example is CW-2M material that is in the Hastelloy family. I had never heard of this material, eventually I found a match but I would like to spend less time finding this information.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-29-2003 15:08
C-Spec has a program that may be of help as far as looking up material types. It doesn;t select a filler metal but I beleive the search capabilities on the database may be of help.

A sample can be viewed at http://pnumbers.com/

I also have a page that allows the user to select a material type or grade and then view al resulting materials. This can be viewed at http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/type_or_grade.asp . I haven't put the alloy materials in my database yet so your material is probably not in there yet.

C-Spec has a great deal of information in their software packages so they may be a place to start.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-29-2003 15:13
Mr. Butler,

I like the ASM Handbook Vol. 6 (welding, brazing, soldering) for material identification and filler matching. It has good indexing and information on technique and behavior that would suit anybody from hobbiest to a mettelurgist

You could probably test drive one at your local library to see if it fits your need. They are a bit costly. Also I believe they can be purchased in CD form.
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 07-29-2003 17:29
Lawrence, that's the one I use.

Mike Sherman
Parent - By RButler (*) Date 07-31-2003 18:00
Thanks Lawrence for the information, I will check it out.

Ron B
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-31-2003 22:48
Interestingly, this question came up at work today, then I read this post.
You might try to contact a testing lab. I was told by a lab I deal with (Dirats, in Massachusetts) that their equipment has software that will give the probable alloy based on chemical content. It only matches to known alloys listed by UNS, ASTM, or similar so if you have a proprietary alloy (as we did) you might not get a listing. I don't know if they or another lab can help but it might be worth asking.
Chet Guilford
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Matching base metal and filler metal