Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding CoreTen
- - By TexasWeld (*) Date 07-29-2003 19:23
I have a vendor who has a spec to weld coreten with ?E8810? but would like to substitute it with ?E7011?

I have never heard of E8810- does anyone know what it is?

I would think that on the E7011 spec a "A1" or like modifier would be necessary to determine what composition is being specified.

If anyone knows what E8810 is or if there is just a generic E7011 grade that may be assumed I would appreciate it.

thank you
Parent - By jfolk (**) Date 07-29-2003 21:52
I found no reference to E8810 with my filler metal comparison software. However, E7011-A1 is available from Soltec (7011-A1), Inweld (7011-G) and Techalloy (Raco 7011-G). E7011-A1 is SFA 5.5, F No. 3 and A No. 2. E7011-G has no A number listed.

John Folk
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-29-2003 23:16
Hey TexasWeld!
I agree with John!!! That must be a "typo" in the spec because, the AWS electrode classification system has E8010 and E8011 listed but none where the second digit is anythihg other than the number zero after the first digit!!!
Lets break it down: according to AWS A5.1-91 and A5.5-81, classifications of mild and low alloy steel electrodes are based on an "E" prefix and a four or five-digit number. The first two digits (or three, in a five-digit number) indicate the minimum required tensile strength in thousands of pounds per square inch. For example: 70 = 70,000 psi,
80 = 80,000 psi. The next to the last digit indicates the welding position in which the electrode is capable of making satisfactory welds:
1 = all positions (flat, horizontal, vertical, and overhead), 2 = flat position and horizontal fillets. The last 2 digits indicate the type of current to be used and the type of covering on the electrode.
The "A1" suffix indicates the approximate alloy in the weld deposit:
(0.5% Mo).

AWS A5.5-81 Tensile strength, Yield strength, and Elongation Requirements for All-Welded-Metal Tension Test show values for those (E-8010-X and E-7011-A1) electrode classifications in specimens tested in the stress relieved condition. This is crucial in answering your question
because,with the E7011, your minimum tensile strength is less than with the E-8010, so is the yield strength, and the elongation is less with the E-8010 than that of the E-7011. I would definitely point that out to your vendor!!! C.Y.O (Cover Your Ass) Always!!!

If you have Lincoln Electric's "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding", you'll see the above written information in section 4 (Arc welding consumables) in pgs. 4.1-1 and 4.1-5 , tables 4-1, 4-2, and 4-7 respectively.
Hope this will help...

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

P.S. NEVER ASS-out-of-U-and ME ANYTHING regarding Specifications!!!
Parent - By 2006491 Date 08-28-2008 14:04
Howdy SSBN, I was just looking around to find out the in and out for welding corten when I came across this info. I had a customer ask me to weld this type of metal, of course I assumed that I have seen and touched alot of metal. Well it just proves that I'm still learning. Thanks for your and everyone else input on this site.

SSBN welder retired 2006
HT1(SW)
JAlley2@verizon.net
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-16-2008 01:15
Sum***** Hank, very nice!
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 07-30-2003 05:45
Be careful on CorTen. While many 80 series fillers will satisfy the strength requirements, not all satisfy the corrosion requirements.

The AWS even has a special classification for CorTen compatible fillers.It usually includes a -W

CorTen is specifically to "rust" at a certain and slow rate. This gives the material a character and color. Copper additions are used to achieve this.
If your filler does not have the required copper, they will rust at a different rate and be most notable.
You will find that some manufacturers will say their fillers are ok for CorTen, when this is only true in strength and not corrosion.

Alloy Rods, or ESAB is what I use, but I am sure there are others.

Their 8018-W works for stick.
Their 88-W and 8100-W work for gas shielded flux core. E80/81T1-W

Look for the "W". It tells of compatibility with the "weathering" steel group that includes A588, A242, CorTen, Mayari R

Hope this helps!
Good Luck!

brande
Parent - - By TexasWeld (*) Date 07-30-2003 12:08
Thanks to everyone for the info and the quick response!

Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 08-29-2008 12:10
Just a word that may be of interest.  The Corten type steels are indeed called "weathering steels" and were designed to save millions of $$$ in paint not used.  They were supposed to "weather" (rust) to a nice color and remain that way.  Many bridges and overpasses and even a several buildings were made from Corten.  The only problem is that the rust doesn't adhere as tightly as originally hoped and rain makes the stuff run all over the place.  If you see overpasses with redish-orange all over the nice concrete piles, holding them up, you know that it is Corten.  It is not used as much now as hoped.

Have a great Labor Day weekend and rest assured that Obama is here to save us, from ourselves.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 09-02-2008 22:28
They've since learned to detail the bridges so that the runoff doesn't drool down the columns, for what it's worth.

Hg
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 09-02-2008 22:36
W is a good indicator, but there are others.  Table 3.3 in D1.5-2008 lists the electrodes that are expected to have reasonable corrosion resistance color match.  I've heard of doing only the cap passes with the "weathering" electrodes, but it doesn't seem to me worth the trouble of juggling two kinds of consumable.

When you're not worrying about an exposed application (either non-cap passes or a situation where weathering steel was used just because it was on hand, not because it was needed), you can use the same electrodes you would have for non-weathering steel (e.g., 70 series for a 50-ksi steel).  The reason the weathering electrodes are 80 ksi is not because the extra strength is needed to match the base metal, but because the additional alloys needed for the corrosion resistance happen to raise the strength of the electrode.

Hg
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-03-2008 14:01
D1.1 is a good source of information on how to weld the weathering steels. Table 3.1 of AWS D1.1-2004 requires A588 to be welded with a low hydrogen electrode, so the EXX10 and EXX11 filler metals are not appropriate for the weathering steels.

If the base metal is to be used in an exposed environment, certain electrode types having weathering characteristics similar to the base metal are required. See table 3.3 and clause 3.7.3. for the AWS recommendations.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding CoreTen