Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Victor Welding
- - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-30-2003 03:05
What is a good welding tip to weld 1/4 thick steel for gas welding with a Victor 100FC Series Handle and 250 Series Regulators....I just bought the Performer Kit today for one of my field trucks for welding/brazing/soldering/plumbing use...i don't know if you would call that heavy duty soldering or just plain welding and what type of gas rods i would need..i dont usually solder/gas weld that much because if i ever have to solder little wire i usually just use my industrial soldering gun..because i got a couple of buckets of solder already but i could use some help and guidance thanks?

John....
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-30-2003 03:29
Hey POB!

You said you just bought the performer kit today?

Well - why do'nt you look in the instruction manual? You should have a chart inside your kit!!!
The infromation should be available there, and if it is'nt - then call the place where you purchased the kit!!! Or better yet, call the factory in Denton, Texas!!!

I've got a set of old Linde-Union Carbide torches and two stage regulators I bought way back in 1983 with flashback arrestors, check valves, and gauge guards!!! still works like a champ!!! My chart says a number 5 tip should be used for 1/4" thickness but, I would'nt go by my chart because, Victor's numbers may or may not be the same!!!

Now as far as the gas rod is concerned, if you're welding, and if the base metal is mild steel, then an RG-45 or RG-65 should work well for you.
Just remember that you want to match up the diameter of the rod as close as possible to the thickness of the material, and most important of all - set your gas "working" pressure to 5psi on both your Oxygen and Acetylene. Set the flame to a "neutral" flame. This I can only describe to you as sounding quiet, and has a consistent sized inner cone (cone does'nt sputter or feather) so that the filler rod flows in smoothly, and you've got total control of the puddle!!!

Oh by the way - soldering is a process related to bonding and welding is a process related to fusion of two materials...

Respectfully

SSBN 727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By thepowerofblue (**) Date 07-30-2003 08:13
i found out i think it's a 4 i believe
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Victor Welding