Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welder qual to a prequal weld procedure
- - By gdjones Date 08-04-2003 17:28
When I qualify a welder to a prequalified partial penetration weld procdedure, what figure in aws d1.6 should I use for the test specimens and can I weld from one side and then back gouge and weld the other side? Or does the specimen have to be welded from one side only?
Thanks in advance,
Gordon
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-04-2003 17:53
Hi Gordon,
I can't say that I've tested welders to a prequalified PJP joint.
(Here's my opinion) I would test to a CJP and this would qualify them for Fillet, PJP, and CJP in the positions and thicknesses tested per Table 4.4. I think most places would test with a B-U2a CJP joint (page 40).

I don't want to lead you down the path the wrong way, so, I'll ask that someone would correct me if I'm wrong on this.
John Wright
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 08-05-2003 19:26
I agree with JWright. If you qualify your welder with a full penetration joint, you will be ahead of the game. Then you welder can weld partial and full penetration joints as necessary if all other essential variables remain the same. Full penetration tests can be either welded from both sides, or use backing. (assuming you don't need open root qualification.)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welder qual to a prequal weld procedure