Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 220V Extention Cord
- - By DavidP66 (*) Date 08-05-2003 19:34
I am planning on buying the Lincoln 175 Portable MIG welder for small projects at home. I was wondering if you can purchase a 220V extention cord that is 100ft in lenth that I can plug it into the dryer outlet in my house and have enough cord to extend into my backyard. Either that or make one myself and attach the plug in on the end of it. I have a feeling this might be expensive either way i go. And another question. If i use this home welder about 10-15 hours per month. Will it eat a lot of electricity?

David
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-06-2003 04:37
There have been other extension cord discussions- search a bit and you'll find them. I assume that you mean the SP175 but other machines with similar outputs will have similar input requirements. In this case Lincoln says at max output on 230 volts the machine will draw 21 amps. You will probably seldom use max settings and since the duty cycle (30% at max) will give the extension cord a break too I would think number 12 wire will suffice. I believe the machine will compensate for voltage drop in the extension since it states 208v is also an acceptable feed but you should check with the salesman. Look at the plug on the machine, If it has 3 pins you need 3 wire if it has 4 pins you need 4 wire, either will be easy to find. A plug that fits the dryer outlet, a socket that fits the welder and careful wiring.

If you use the machine 10-15 hours you will probably only accumulate an hour or so of trigger time. 21 * 230 = 4830 watts for 1 hour is 4830 watt-hours say 5000 giving something to keep the fan turning while you aren't welding. 5 kilowatt hours around here cost about a buck.

Have fun-
Bill
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-06-2003 11:23
I'm guessing and just throwing something out here. Would it help to split the distance and go with a 50ft extension cord for the machine and add 50ft of leads? More expense, but would it make it easier on the machine and help with overheating the extension cord?
Just a thought,
John Wright
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 08-06-2003 13:21
Extensions on the weld output side would be better for SMAW than GMAW. The post is using a self contained GMAW. There would be no way to extend the gun. If there was a separate feeder; that would lend itself to extending the secondary. It is better to extend the secondary whenever possible. It is better (though not good) to drop a piece of metal and cut the secondary cable than it is to cut the primary extension. Whenever extensions are used (secondary or primary) make sure there is as low a voltage loss as possible. You can't go too big on cables primary or secondary. The limit would be weight and bulk. Hope this helps.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-06-2003 13:34
It would behoove me to read a little closer before answering these posts without complete embarrassment. I agree that 50ft leads on the gun side would be rather awkward(if they make leads that long for those without seperate feeders). I had SMAW in mind when I commented, Thanks a bunch for helping me get back in the road. It takes a whole bunch of people watching me to keep me straight :)
John Wright
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 08-06-2003 21:07
Man I can only imagine the feed problems with 50' mig gun! Probably would make aluminum through a 15' seem rather foolproof. Just joking.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-07-2003 00:55
Yeah but, If you had a push-pull system, then there's no problem...
No Joke!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-07-2003 03:41
Adding on- since your post mentions going outside you should, to be safe, change the breaker to a ground fault type device. That also largely eliminates the "dropped a piece of metal" problem since anything that cuts the cable will almost surely cause a ground fault.
Bill
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 08-07-2003 18:49
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've not heard of a 200/230 volt GFCI. Looking at Miller's catalog they have a 200/230 volt single phase welder that requires a separate feeder. That machine they have is called a Regency 250. They show a hard wire package with a 22A wire feeder. Looks like a pretty simple but functional package.
Parent - By sscherin Date 08-07-2003 19:48
http://www.sea.siemens.com/speedfax/Load_Centers/1-24_Arc_Fault_and_Ground_Fault_Breakers_.pdf

They make them up to 60a 240v but it's not a cheep thing to get.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 220V Extention Cord