Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.5 vertical groove root
- - By tacotuner Date 08-06-2003 12:06
Does any body know what the maximum WIDTH of a vertical groove root pass is in D1.5 ? In the code book all I can find is that the maximum THICKNESS of a vertical root pass is 6mm. I cant find any dimension for the width. Also are there any special provisions for the acceptability criteria of a SMAW root pass that will be followed by a GMAW multi pass weld ? Shall this root pass be subject to all the criteria of a final weld IE: no undercut, no wagon tracks, etc ? We are putting in a E7018 1/8 root followed by a GMAW 260 amp filler pass in a vertical groove of 40 mm effective throat.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-07-2003 16:54
The only restriction on bead width that I know of in D1.5 is found in 4.4.7 and Figure 4.1. Unlike ASME or other codes, I have not see any other restrictions.

The acceptance criteria for root and intermediate passes is not spelled out specifically but is implied. Naturally you wouldn't want to weld over porosity, overlap, slag inclusions, and so forth. But concavity and undercut that would be unacceptable on the cover passes could be welded over as long as the profile is not likely to cause problems. Just remenber that if you have excessive concavity, you could encounter some cracking. It's better to have a bit more throat to prevent that but keep 4.7.7 in mind also.
Every process in D1.5 except low-hydrogen SMAW requires qualification prior to use so I assume you have done an unlimited thickness 3G PQR within the last 5 years for the GMAW? Your production welding technique would be the same except that you likely would not have welded the root with 7018 (that's not a problem, you can mix approved processes).

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 08-11-2003 17:52
Tacotuner, out of curiosity, did you have any trouble qualifying this procedure?

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By tacotuner Date 08-20-2003 11:36
My mistake in this inquiry was stating that we are following a 7018 root with GMAW. The actuality is that we are following a 7018 root with 260-340 amp FCAW. sorry for my ignorant mistake.
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 08-23-2003 13:24
That makes more sense to me now. Don't be so hard on yourself, almost everyone who talks on this board has made similiar mistakes before.

Mike Sherman
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.5 vertical groove root