Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Alum Hyd Oil Tank
- - By TimGary (****) Date 08-06-2003 20:06
I've got a rectangular hydraulic oil tank on one of our semi tractors that is made from 3/16" aluminum checker plate. I don't know the material grade. One of the bottom corners has a small weld crack in a GMAW fillet that is allowing oil to slowly leak out.
Do you kind folks think I would ever stand a chance of getting this thing clean enough and/or safe enough for a weld repair? It has been in service for several years.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 08-07-2003 12:58
most of the checker aluminum that I have encountered is the 3000 series aluminum. this can be welded using 4043 filler rod/wire, and although it is dirty, patience and persistence can get it clean enough to weld.
Parent - By solomanb Date 08-12-2003 04:18
Steam it out and as said 4043 is a little more ductile than 60 seris filler mat. Try repading. How is it mounted?
Solomanb
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-12-2003 12:44
Tim, you mentioned safety in your post, and that is a good issue to investigate. I don't know how hyd. fluid would act in an enclosed space while welding.

Does anyone else have an idea about this? I wouldn't want to give advise that would get someone hurt.

NFPA rating is Health = 1, Flammability = 1, Reactivity = 0
(0 = least, 1 = slight, 2 = moderate, 3 = high, 4 = extreme)
under "Handling and Storage" it does state:
Do not use in high pressure systems in the vicinity of flames, sparks and hot surfaces. Use only in well ventalated areas. Keep container closed.
Do not weld, heat or drill container. Residue may ignite with explosive violence if heated sufficiently. Caution! Do not use pressure to empty drum or drum may rupture with explosive force.

This info is per the MSDS that I have on file for our hyd. fluid(Chevron Hyraulic Oil AW ISO 68).

Tim, I'm not sure I would take the chance unless you could really clean that tank out.
John Wright
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 08-12-2003 13:17
Thanks for your replies!

We've decided that it would be better to purchase a new tank as it would be more cost and time effective than to repair the old one.

Thanks again!
Tim
Parent - By cnhydraulic Date 06-30-2008 08:30
hello, Tim, we produce alu hydraulic oil tank,cleanning cover, according to KTR standard, pls contact me for details  E-mail: cnhydraulic@yahoo.cn   Harry
Attachment: 2783331665.jpg (0B)
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 06-30-2008 21:23
Tim, I would not have hesitated in the least to repiar the tank.and I am also sure that it would have been alot cheaper then a new one. Cleaning  would be the primary concern and there are a noumber of methods one could employ to achieve that. Followed by purging the tank with argon then weld away. have done this type of repair a hundred times if once and still have alll the fingers and toes. Provided you have all the neccesary gear the whole thing may have taken two to three hours depending on the size of the hole.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Alum Hyd Oil Tank