Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help with OxyFuel Welding!!!
- - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-07-2003 18:30
Is it alright but I don't know if it's the real proper technique or not when using the forehand method.I am holding the torch in my left hand and dipping the rod in the puddle with my right hand going left to right because it's easier for me....I do make very good beads with penetration that are so good that they have that fish scale look to it but I wish someone could tell me about it....I am welding carbon steel using steel rod RG45....and also I use coathanger steel...heh...I really don't know if that's any good but I heard from a guy at a welding supply store that I could try it but he wouldn't really recommend it.Thanks
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 08-07-2003 19:06
That is the way I normally gas weld. I have had to certify with Pacific Gas in CA on 2" schedule 40 pipe. That procedure required the backhand with a slightly carburizing flame and travel progression was downhill. Remember that the RG45 will have a tensile strength of 45,000 pounds per square inch. Coat hangars and other drawn wires will have varying tensile strength, is this important for your welded projects? And, watch the fumes from the coatings, it could make you sick.
Parent - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-09-2003 02:09
thanks for the help...i'm sure there is a lot of people here that can gas weld but they do not want to reply but that's ok thanks for your information
Parent - - By aircraft (**) Date 08-09-2003 03:41
Sounds like your left handed. I'm right handed and do it backwards from you.
You're doing it right, witch maybe why no one replied.

Sorry
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-09-2003 04:24
thank you so much air it helps me big but i still am looking forward on a tig machine because of the many advantages...because you can make a puddle as fast as you can say wow with a tig welder big difference compared to the gas welder where you make the steel more heat affected.Also for gas aluminum rod would anybody know why the ends are sharpened when you buy them and will you need flux I really want to start welding aluminum with the gas process and what does everybody think of hiwt?.....I like their educational books...they're great...man they taught me a lot of stuff...thanks
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-09-2003 04:26
btw is backhand welding really a good way to weld light material while dipping the rod with your right hand...cuz it works for me well...really good beads and penetration but I don't see a problem with it...but the victor cutting,heating,and welding guide recommends but I really weld the easier way which works for me...what do you think?
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-10-2003 00:06
well does anybody know about those aluminum rods because I could sure use some help!!!!
Parent - By dee (***) Date 08-12-2003 07:35
Try Alladin.com there are many products this might be a good p;lace to start
regards
d
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help with OxyFuel Welding!!!