Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need help....????
- - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-10-2003 00:02
What type of solder and flux should i use to weld copper to aluminum and still have about 7,000 psi tensile strenght??
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 08-10-2003 00:35
try www.handyharmancanada.com it is a wealth of brazing/soldering info. I'm not sure about al/copper though. Aluminum is quite limited as to what it will alloy with. Good luck and hope the link answers some questions.
Parent - - By mark8702 (*) Date 08-10-2003 00:45
the link doesn't work >:|
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 08-10-2003 00:47
the link works just fine, it's my spelling that is broken. Its harman...an...not harmon...on. www.handyharmancanada.com. sorry bout dat.
Parent - By brande (***) Date 08-10-2003 03:56
Don't know for sure-I'll go out on a limb here, but these two metals, on their own, are not metallurgically compatible, as far as I know.

The only way I can see you getting a joint with good integrity would be to plate the aluminum with copper and treat it as any other copper/copper joint.

There are some "super solder/braze materials available from the "snake oil " guys. Some live up to advertising, some do not.

A search of MG, Eutectic, Kapp Alloys, Hi-Alloy, Inweld, Nassau, Dytron and similar companies may give you what you need.

Let us know how you make out!!

Good Luck

brande
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 08-10-2003 18:24
I was curious myself and found a website by a place called "Muggyweld". It even has video demos online of metals being joined. The products aren/t cheap though. They have all sorts of soldering alloys and fluxes for odd metal combinations. I would think any search for "muggyweld" would get some hits. Good luck.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need help....????