Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Plasma welding
- - By kam (**) Date 08-12-2003 18:44
Looking for practical information on plasma welding. My company just bought a few and i need to learn how to maintain and operate them. Never messed with them before. Similar to TIG? Any good sites out there which explain the process & maybe give tips to a beginner. Also tips from you guys who help as well.

Thanks

kam
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-12-2003 18:56
Hi Kam,
I don't know much about the process, but there is a page and a half description of how the thing works in AWS' Welding Handbook, Volume One "Fundamentals of Welding". I'm sure there are lots of other good reads, but I had ran across this one a day or so ago.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-12-2003 20:31
Hey Kam, me again.
Also in the same set of books, the Volume II Chapter 9 covers the subject in more detail(35 pages).
John Wright
Parent - - By kam (**) Date 08-13-2003 12:46
Thanks John
I'll have to give them a look. Found some basic information on the net last night. Seem simple enough. What I have noticed so far is that they are similar to tig.

Thanks again

kam
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 08-14-2003 13:10
Plasma welding process is quite similar to tig welding....basically the same process, although the arc is more controlled which allows thinner materials to be welded more efficiently. you will notice that the arc plasma is narrower and finer than with conventional tig.. the hardest part about plasma welding, is machine set up. your best bet to find out this information, is the people that sold it to you, or the manufacturer of the equipment.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Plasma welding