Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.4 WELDER QUALIFICATIONS
- - By DUCKEY Date 08-14-2003 15:21
Have a customer that makes prefabed concrete products and welds alot of rebar he has his welders qualified to aws D1.1 in the 1G position. And a consultant told him he needed more certs for his welders, his welders weld some vertical which i know require another test but the testing lab is telling me they have to take 4 rebar tests for evry welder in every position, 2 macros and 2 tensiles, any help or comments ty.
Parent - - By UCSB (**) Date 08-14-2003 18:19
Have your customer certify his welders in accordance with AWS D1.4 as required for welding rebar.

Roger
Parent - - By DavidP66 (*) Date 08-14-2003 18:37
This is just my two cents on this one.

I know under code. Welders have to be certified to weld rebar. But, it is usually tied together with tie wire. One would figure, once the concrete has hardened and the forms removed. What makes the difference if it is tied or welded. I know welding will effect the strenth of rebar. And I always used Low-Hydrogen to tack it together. Just a thought.

David
Parent - - By UCSB (**) Date 08-14-2003 19:03
David-
When you are in a siesmic area and have drag lines, you need more than tie wire. You being on the Gulf Coast are in seismic zone 0, which is basicly nada for earthquakes. Here in CA, we are in seismic zone 4- the highest level for earthquakes. We weld a lot of rebar.

Roger
Parent - By DavidP66 (*) Date 08-15-2003 14:03
Ahh I see. I was under the impression that most everyone tied rebar. And could weld it if they chose too.

I guess I should actually look at the D1.4 code book ;)

David
Parent - By WBI (*) Date 09-09-2003 21:09
Just a note about rebar welding... Read Section 5.4 of AWS D1.4 before you tack weld rebar. Even ASTM A706 bar can become embrittled if care is not taken in preparation of the rebar. Tacking can do a lot more harm than good if it alters the molecular structure of the steel.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.4 WELDER QUALIFICATIONS