Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / where's the forest?
- - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 08-15-2003 12:41
Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees. I recently posted about some burn through problems. Welding exhauast pipe on my son's truck. One of the members posted a suggestion about "triggering" the gun. I can't believe how well this works. I completed a fairly extensive smaw class not too long ago. We learned about "whip and pause" and "fast freeze rods". I used the technique on my coupons in the weld lab with good success. Never though of applying this to gmaw. I really had a mindset that with gmaw the idea was to set the machine and pull the trigger and go. Never entered my stubborn old mind that with gmaw you can control the puddle by simply releasing the trigger when it gets too hot. I also found my "control" of the puddle was much greater than thought. It's good to get some insight from this site. You folks who had seasoned craftsman point out your mistakes don't realise how good you had it. (Although everybody attends the school of hard knocks sooner or later) Keep meltin'!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-15-2003 13:05
Bzzzzzzzz(I know,10z's),
I know that school you are speaking of very well, I'm still attending classes on a very frequent basis. :)
John Wright
Parent - - By flashburner1 (*) Date 08-16-2003 01:10
I'm glad we could help :), many of these folks have helped educate me, and I used to think I knew it all (still don't know nothin')
Brian
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 08-16-2003 01:29
how hard is triggering on the mechanisms of a decent wire feed machine? Will it shorten the life of the feeder and contacts or is it something that is considered normal practice.
Parent - - By flashburner1 (*) Date 08-16-2003 01:43
Not sure on your machine (what kind?) - it's normal practice where I work, and we have machines that are 30+ years old (Miller CP250's for steel and ESAB with Cobra guns for aluminum). My MM200 is 15+ years old - I have done many old rusty exhaust systems on the side for people that don't want to pay Midas for a "quick fix on an old beater" and much of it is done by "triggering" - never had a problem with my machine. I don't think you are harming your welder by triggering it.
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 08-16-2003 02:50
Millermatic Challenger 172. Not a heavy duty mig, but a notch up from the farm supply off brand. If that's what it takes to get the weld in right, that's what I'll do.
Parent - By flashburner1 (*) Date 08-16-2003 18:48
I don't think you're doing any damage to your machine by triggering. I (well actually, about 45 guys on my crew) do it all the time, on Miller machines - we occasionally replace the contactor points. Your machine is new - should give you several years of service before needing any replacements. I own a Miller machine and am a Miller supporter - my vendor (Rockford Industrial Welding Supply) has left his breakfast table on a Saturday morning to bring wire to our shop in his trunk!!!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-18-2003 06:03
If you hear it click when you trigger it then it has an electromechanical switch- typical life at least 50000 operations usually more. Average use that would be several years. No click- semiconductor switch- life unlimited.
Bill
Parent - By bulldog5585 Date 08-18-2003 03:54
Triggering should not cause any damage to your equipment. However if your worried about the longevity of your machine, I recommend removing the cover plate and blowing out the inside with air every year, or more frequently if your equipment is constantly exposed to heavy grinding dust. That dust over time will cause connections to arc out and stick, but nothing to worry about over short term. Personally, it's a practice I preform every year the week of christmas, that way I never forget. As for any talk about Miller machines, I'm die hard Lincoln and firmly believe from many, many, many past experiences on many machines that Miller is junk. haha, sorry, just had to add that. Anyways, you'll have many good years with your machine even if you trigger it.......... unless it's a miller ;)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / where's the forest?