Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Flux-cored wire
- - By weldman Date 08-20-2003 04:31
I have heard that with stick electrodes, if you have an old refrigerator and have a light bulb on all the time it keeps moisture out. My question is this can the same be done with flux-cored wire without hurting the wire.-----Thanks, Weldman
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-20-2003 05:12
Hello Weldman!
Not a good suggestion!!!

Whatever moisture that's already in the refrigerator, that light bulb alone wo'nt protect the FCAW wire or the "stick" electrodes, neither will a refrigerator... "Dry rod" ovens do the trick with stick electrodes...

Keep the flux cored wire in the plastic cover it came with in a DRY location!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-20-2003 16:40
Hi weldman,
If you do any work to meet the Strctural steel code D1.1, you need to purchase a rod oven to store your low-hydrogen rods/wire in after they are remove from their factory packaging and stored at a min. of 250F.
I'll supply the paragraph for you: AWS D1.1:2002 Structural Steel Code paragraph 5.3.2.1 Low-Hydrogen Electrode Storage Conditions. "All electrodes having low hydrogen coverings conforming to AWS A5.1 and AWS A5.5 shall be purchased in hermetically sealed containers or shall be baked by the user in conformance with 5.3.2.4 prior to use. Immediately after opening the hermetically sealed container, electrodes shall be stored in ovens held at a temperature of at least 250F or 120C. Electrodes shall be re-baked no more than once. Electrodes that have been wet shall not be used."
There are other charts to go by for atmostpheric exposure and the limits allowed. if you need to know all of those, I can post them for you. ASTM A 514 or A517 steels have different criteria to be used. At the least I would purchase a rod oven and keep all of your low -hy rods/wire stored in there to keep them dry enough to prevent porosity, if for no other reason. Most codes will require the use of an oven, I just quoted the D1.1 code.
Hope this helps, if you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
John Wright
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-20-2003 17:15
Hello JW!

Do you know what the AWS has to say about protecting Lo-Hy equivalent FCAW electrode wires from atmospheric exposure?

I have AWS D1.1 2002 but at the moment, I ca'nt find my CD!
After re-reading weldman's original post, the question was asked about that also, and because I'm in the middle of re-arranging my home office, I ca'nt find anything at all!!! Your help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Respectfully,

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-20-2003 17:48
Hi SS,
I don't believe D1.1 addresses this as such only that FCAW wires must be stored in it's factory pakaging until ready for use and meet the rquirements for AWS A5.20 for FCAW and AWS A5.18 for GMAW.

I have seen requirements regarding FEMA regulations. They require welding consumables including FCAW wires to be stored in ovens. I had a job recently that fit this criteria and had to purchase ovens for FCAW 60# coils. They also have a "total" exposure limit after which is reached the wire can no longer be used on any seismic projects. I don't have the FEMA 353 book here at home with me so I can't quote it for you.

(my opinion) I believe if FCAW is kept nice and dry in storage you should be OK. My welders will run out some wire and take their side cutters and snip the few inches of the wire off before starting to weld, if the wire had been on the machine overnight, and if it's not FEMA work. I guess this would be an acceptable procedure.
John Wright
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-20-2003 18:46
Thanks JW!
I hope everything is well with you after your surgery!!!
I obviously do'nt know what you went in for but, I know a thing or two about the uncertainty or anxiousness one can experience afterwards so, if you ever need to talk about it, e-mail me, and I'll give you my number there...
Always good to "hear" from you JW!!! Keep the chin up because, we're all praying for your complete recovery!!! God Bless you!!!

Respectfully,

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Flux-cored wire