Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / IS A MILLER 130 ENOUGH MACHINE
- - By reidl Date 08-28-2003 02:27
I'm going to be doing a lot of welding on 1/4" steel. My Miller 130 will weld 3/16" in a single pass. Would I be smart to upgrade to a 175 or just plan on multiple passes? If I go to a 220 volt machine, I'll need to purchase an extension cord. Thanks for your input.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 08-28-2003 16:16
I would upgrade my single dedicated use, 110-120 vac circuit breaker and outlet to a 20 amp, use #10 gauge wire for an extension cord for the 130. Welding 1/4" with a single pass with any GMAW using the short circuit metal transfer (scmt) lends itself to low heat input. This lends itself to lack of fusion and cold lap. Let me explain, short circuit metal transfer by its name means the wire short circuits (no arc) about 50% of the time. No arc means no heat during the short circuit, no heat means no melting of the metal. This means use a beveled edge on butt joints. And for fillet welds, if it is thick material preheat until a sliver of pine will smolder and char when touched to the material, that'll be about 400-500 degrees F. If it is hot rolled steel, use 100% CO2 for scmt or use flux cored electrodes. Flux cored electrodes are better for the thicker material. Be careful of some of the self shielded (gas less) flux cored wires, they may be used only for single pass welds (check manufacturers data sheet). If you use a solid wire go small and concentrate the heat of the arc. A larger diameter wire spreads the arc energy over a larger area. Less melting results. Welding is fun enjoy
Parent - By dee (***) Date 08-28-2003 18:16
357 speaks truth, but permit me to extend...

You'll benefit from a study of Ed Craig's site at http://www.weldreality.com

Get background on effects of gas mix, wire diameter, weld current and how such variables affect transfer mode, and how transfer mode and gas mix affect penetration profiles. Flux core products are a "wild-card" but have their own minor issues to manage. Decide for yourself. I'm satisfied with a [small] 250A welder but I do rely on even smaller units that some guys claim wont burn toast, from time to time. Fact is, if forced to give up one of 'em, I know it wouldn't be the 250 I would let go of.

Running a 50 amp 250volt outlet is not that big a project; dont let THAT stand in the way of a good decision.

regards,
d
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / IS A MILLER 130 ENOUGH MACHINE