Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hobart {Help}
- - By patcorley Date 08-30-2003 14:04
First of all let me say I'm not a welder I'm a mechanic That likes to weld and build things as a hobby. Now for my problem. I found a old hobart gas powered Mainliner. This is my 3rd machine to rebuild. The other 2 were lincolns. But I want to keep this one because i have never seen one like it. And it is the same age as me. It is a 1960 model. It set in a old barn far about 15 years and was not used much before that. Really it is like new. Ok what i need help with. The fine rheostat element is broken, part # AW608 Made by Mallory it is 150 watt and 50 ohm. Any help is Appreciated. 2 local welding shops basically told me to throw the machine away, that part could not be bought.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 08-30-2003 17:00
The Rheostat does not have to be made by Mallory does it?

You know wattage, resestance and configuration it seems you could find one with same values.

Some of the old Hobarts had a long extension cord attached to the fine adjustment and it just plugged in to the front of the panel, that way you could take it with you like a remote control.

We had a few when I was in the Army (Brown Boot) that got destroyed and we could not get original parts either so we Bast@^%#ed them and they worked fine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hobart {Help}