Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hobart {help}
- - By patcorley Date 08-30-2003 14:07
First of all let me say I'm not a welder I'm a mechanic That likes to weld and build things as a hobby. Now for my problem. I found a old hobart gas powered Mainliner. This is my 3rd machine to rebuild. The other 2 were lincolns. But I want to keep this one because i have never seen one like it. And it is the same age as me. It is a 1960 model. It set in a old barn far about 15 years and was not used much before that. Really it is like new. Ok what i need help with. The fine rheostat element is broken, part # AW608 Made by Mallory it is 150 watt and 50 ohm. Any help is Appreciated. 2 local welding shops basically told me to throw the machine away, that part could not be bought.
Parent - - By n5uzt (**) Date 08-30-2003 14:40
try calling 501-562-7643 ask for charlie
custom controlls inc.
tell him what you have or try the hobart web site and contact them
they will need ser. # and spec #
Parent - - By JeramyK Date 08-30-2003 23:32
Hi Pat,

I'd recommend stopping by the Hobart forums for some additional info. I'm sure Rock and the other Hobart experts in the forum can be of assistance.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/

-Jeramy
Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 08-31-2003 02:47
Try Newark or Allied Electronics. The rheostat should not be too hard to find. It could also be replaced by a solid state setup.
Parent - By testweldguy (**) Date 09-04-2003 00:58
contact "rock" he knows his s**t, worked with him before in Troy..
That would be your best bet...
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-01-2003 06:07
If you want to keep it really stock it's not beyond doing to take the rheostat apart and rewind it with the same size resistance wire.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hobart {help}