Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.3-98 inetpretation
- - By rhoople47 (**) Date 09-11-2003 12:59
Question on interpretation on the AWS D1.3 code Section 4.7.1.4, if a welder performs a qualification test using ER70S-6 .035" Diam. wire and 75-25 mix gas, is he also qualified to weld using ER70S-6 .030" wire with the same gas mix? Is it an essential variable for the welder Qual.?
Parent - By lewie15689 (*) Date 09-11-2003 16:18
rhoople47;
I assume when you say qualification test you are meaning welder performance qualification.
Under section 4.5, D1.3-98 the code does not address wire diameter as an essential variable.
D1.3-98 Table 4.3 PQR Changes to Essential Variables requiring WPS requalification, Para. 4 states: A change in the diameter of the electrode.
My interpretation of that statement is even if the the welder was qualified to weld .030" wire (which I don't think they are) you would have to requalify the WPS. In turn qualifying the welder. That's my opinion.
The number of test to qualify is so minimal and the destruction of the test coupons are not that cumbersome to redo.
Hope I'm leading you down the straight and narrow.

Lew
Parent - - By H.Dibben (*) Date 09-11-2003 16:23
Section 4.7.1.4
"A welder quallified with an approved electrode and shielding medium combination shall be considered qualified to weld with any other approved electrode and shielding medium for the welding process used in the WPS."

That seems to cover it, and a lot more as well. I have never heard of a change in electrode diameter being an essential variable for welder qualification.

Harold
Parent - - By rhoople47 (**) Date 09-11-2003 17:06
First of all, thanx Harold for your input, but I guess my question wasn't worded correctly. Say a welder has been qualified to weld to a WPS that was writen to use .035" wire. Then, a new WPS was writen using .045" wire, does the welder have to qualify to that WPS as well, or is he covered through the .035" WPS, and exempt from another test.
Parent - - By lewie15689 (*) Date 09-11-2003 17:41
rhoople47
Opps, that's section 4.7 not 4.5 of D1.3. Sorry.
The welder performance test determines if a welder can produce a sound weld.
Are you running the same parameters for both WPSs? I won't think you would run the same settings for different size wires.
So, what Harrold is saying is that if you qualify with one size wire diameter it grandfathers you for all wire diameters. huh, interesting.
If that's true, then I've been doing it wrong. Learn something new every day.

Lew
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-11-2003 20:29
My opinion is that Harold is correct. Section 4.7 is titled Essential Variables. The size of electrodes used to qualify is not addressed in that section.
4.7.1.4 tells us that welders are qualified for any other approved electrode and shielding medium for the process used, but nothing about size.

All this may be self limiting to a point. 4.7.2 spells out specific qualification criteria based on material thicknesses (as well as other conditions). I can't imagine welding an 18 gauge test as indicated in
(b) using large diameter electrodes. Most likely, smaller wires would be used and a person wouldn't be qualified for 16 ga and thinner unless he tested within the proper thickness. But there is nothing to say different sizes other than used on the test can't be used if the welds meet code otherwise.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-11-2003 20:33
The italics are not intended. I must have hit a key somewhere but I haven't figured it out yet. Also, where you see (b), you should see (b) but it won't correct for some reason. hopefully this won't cause any confusion. CG
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-11-2003 20:34
Nope, it still wont show (b) { I }.
Parent - - By H.Dibben (*) Date 09-12-2003 17:03
Lew,

Am I missing something here. From my understanding, a welder qualification test qualifies a welder for a range of thicknesses. Once he has qualified, he can weld within the range qualified using any parameters (including electrode size) that are suitable, and is not limited to the parameters used on the qualification test.

Harold
Parent - By lewie15689 (*) Date 09-17-2003 13:22
Harrold,
I would think that you would still have to run within the parameters of the WPS. I agree that the code doesn't mention a change in electrode size as an essential variable for welder quals.
You just can't take any thing for granted when it comes to the code, that's for sure. I thought I had the interpretation of the code down pat, (D1.3) and I am finding out I don't. But I am learning new things and realizing even the best have questions about interperation.
Please don't take my last statement as a anouncement that I am one of the elite, I'm far from there.
Ramble, ramble,ramble
Lew
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.3-98 inetpretation