Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / All day manufacturing
- - By SouthernWelding (*) Date 09-21-2003 01:37
What type of bit would you need to start notching pipe.I got a huge ol jet drill press in my shop I use alot when I get off of work.I been doing all my notching for fences and such manually with my torch but pheewww it does get a little bit dirty.I know theres such a thing but just never thought of it...I just got done with a 5 mile fence for a big ranch made out of 2 7/8 pipe cuz its like a dollar and a half cheaper than the 3 inch pipe.You know because it's an odd pipe I guess you could call it.I charged the people 24 cents a foot plus supplies but I want a pipe notcher for the press.Would anybody know the brand of the notcher and if theres different sizes and how I could go about ordering one.Thank ya!
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-21-2003 04:31
A hole saw the size of the od of the pipe being joined to (the post in a fence) will cut the correct notch. If the angle between the pipes is 90 degrees you don't really need anything else. If you do a lot (5 miles sounds like a lot) a vee block or a vice on the drill press will be helpful. Careful to index the ends the same. You might want to build a simple jig for that.
Bill
Parent - - By SouthernWelding (*) Date 09-21-2003 04:55
thanks bill.I gotta get some sleep.night
Parent - - By mikew (*) Date 09-22-2003 01:27
hey southern,
The shop i work in just bought some for our press to fab handrails (we used to torch cut them) and you should be able to cut your prep time in half w/ a notcher. I will check tomorrow at work and find out where we purchased themand get back with you.
you may want to try www.mscdirect.com ,they have a catalog of 500,000 items(really!)so they should carry them and be able to get it to you within 48 hrs.
mike wright
Parent - - By greatwelder (*) Date 09-22-2003 14:39
thank you mike....the place seems a whole lot more professional than the hobart forum
Parent - By mikew (*) Date 09-22-2003 21:24
hey southern,
the company we bought ours from a company called PROJECT TOOL AND DIE,INC.
www.projecttoolanddie.com , their phone# (503) 243-8903.
Another company is ocean manufacturing but I forgot to bring that # home,but Iwill tomorrow.
mike wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / All day manufacturing