Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.3 Interpretation
- - By rhoople47 (**) Date 09-23-2003 17:24
In the AWS D1.3-98 code, is it allowed to put more than 1 joint detail on a WPS? I say it is, customer says no. It's right there in black and white but would like some confirming or other wise remarks from someone to help me argue the fact.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 09-23-2003 18:45
I am unfamiliar with D1.3, but am very familiar with customer relations.

The customer has a right to insist on one joint per WPS if that is his/her desire. Rather than turning it into an adversarial relationship, you should ask for a meeting, calmly explain yourself and ask for some lattitiude. When dealing with the customer, many times you have to forget about what you know is "right or wrong" and try to get them to work with you by being the first one to extend the olive branch.

Charles Hall
Parent - - By rhoople47 (**) Date 09-23-2003 18:53
Well said Chrales, and I am doing that. I just needed to know if I was seeing this right before I go to the customer and plead this case.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-23-2003 20:39
For what it is worth, I usually put only one joint detail per WPS to keep it simple and easy to read.
John Wright
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 09-23-2003 23:22
rhoople:
D1.3-98 prequalified joints may have more than one joint listed in the WPS per 3.1.1. The sample WPS form in Annex A also notes "Type of Welded Joint(s)".
For joints that require qualification, a WPS is required for each type of joint per 4.1.

Unless stated otherwise in the contract documents, mulitiple joints may be listed.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-24-2003 15:29
Hi DGXL,
Been a long time. Glad to see your post again. Hope all is well with you and yours.
I was going to mention the "(s)" on the form in the Annex and didn't. My copy of D1.3:89 is an old one and I didn't know if things have changed in later versions. Mine also said in Section 6.1 Approved Procedures. This specification does not accord prequalified status to any welding procedures for sheet steel. So I figured to leave it alone since my copy wasn't up to date.
Good to see you,
John Wright
Parent - - By pino (*) Date 09-26-2003 13:30
It is also very important to know but at all times it should be looked at that the customer supercedes the codes. Lets just say if a customer wants a 1/4 inch Fillet put down on 3/16 plate that is what they get even though we know that it is over kill.I bevieve that this should be looked at in all sections of the codes.After all it is the customer that puts food on our tables.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-26-2003 14:28
Hi pino,
I hear what you are saying and agree to a certain point. The owner has given the Eng of Record, the authority to be the final say, by hiring him to oversee the job. Therefore, the Eng of Record can over rule even the owner's request, as I see it. I know for good customer relations we should give the customer more than he is looking for or expecting, and travel beyond the scope of our contract to satisfy him in hopes that he will use our company again to meet his fabrication needs on future projects.
Your thoughts?
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.3 Interpretation