Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Top 5 Welders in the world
- - By frsmijr (*) Date 09-29-2003 18:29
[deleted]
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-29-2003 20:04
I think this list, if generated, may end up very opinion oriented rather than factual.
Just my "opinion",
John Wright
Parent - - By frsmijr (*) Date 09-30-2003 00:17
[deleted]
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-30-2003 08:35
Never Heard of them... Maybe you can either enlighten us or refesh my memory??? Which industry??? When you say that they made a mark on the industry, could you please elaborate??? Do you mean like what Russell Meredith left as a mark on the industry??? Are the gentlemen you mentioned included in this level of achievements???
Come to think of it, AMI, Astro-Polysoude, Jetline, Liburdi, MK, and Magnatech are considered some of the best orbital/automated GTA welding systems out there today, oops!!! I forgot to mention some of those German systems but, I ca'nt seem to remember their names!!!
Achievements are not always shown in public records... Food for thought...

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-30-2003 10:26
Maybe I should have heard of those people, but, sorry, I have no idea of who they are or what they have accomplished.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-30-2003 11:21
Part of the problem you may have with your list is some people may not have the notoriety to be famous, but could possibly be the very best at GTAW in the world. I also have not heard of of the names mentioned. This may not be all that uncommon to not have heard of these people as they may have no relation to the field that I work in. TIG is not commonly used in structural steel fabrication, in fact it is not recognized as a prequalified process by AWS for D1.1, whereas SAW, SMAW, FCAW and GMAW are. This is not to say that GTAW is not a great process, because it is in other industries, just not in heavy structural steel fabrication. I don't mean to cast a shadow of doubt on your list, but simply think that it would be hard to narrow it down to just a handful and be fair and factual about it.
just my opinion again,
John Wright
Parent - - By frsmijr (*) Date 09-30-2003 15:17
[deleted]
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-30-2003 20:06
Hello again frsmijr!!!
There are also alot of individuals that have achieved that level of success, who have worked for or are currently working either for the various branches in the military or the various contractors, and subcontractors that have never been recognized by any outside organization, at least in public records...
I would also be biased if i did'nt mention that fact that if you put these guys (with the exception of maybe two of those mentioned) in a power plant shutdown whereby they were forced into a "scenario" like let's say weld open root pipe or even with consumable inserts, go in there (Yes, in actual field conditions) in let's say - where the superheater tubes are located or any other tight fitting locations, without any practice whatsoever, and weld as good or better than some of the gentlemen out there that have done this for quite some time, I'm confident that in the end, their welds could not "cut the mustard' so to speak, and visa versa if the power plant people were put to the same kind of test in the aerospace industry!!!

After your "clarification" as to what you are really trying to ask the rest of us, I'm curious as to why you did'nt mention our past AWS president Earnest Levert??? I wo'nt post the web page because I presume that you already have it!!! I'm sure that if you in fact read up on all of your journals, and peroidicals, etc.. that you would've come across his bio...
One question I have is: why did'nt you mention any welders that have noticeable achievements in either Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia and South America??? Correct me if I'm wrong but, did'nt you say, "the best GTA welders in the world??? I personally worked with some of the best in the military that have also written on this process for the military (USN), and this information is'nt available for public access... If I did mention some of these men and women (yes women!!!), I might be inadvertantly compromising national security!!! You mention Lincoln Electric alot, and I'm curious as to why you did'nt mention any of the other equipment/consumables manufacturers out there???
Also, If you put these people on such a high pedestal, then have you asked them who they think are among the top five in the world???
I'm curious as to what their answer might be... frsmijr! you still have'nt answered my question as to whether or not you have used a trailing shield before???One last question is: What is your background in GTAW, and your experience??? I think that it's only fair to ask you this since you started this post???
Speaking of posts, you mentioned now that you would like to keep it in one board, and not have our answers for your query posted in more than one board, then why did you post your query in more than one board????? Seems to me that " the cat's already out of the bag" so to speak... Oh by the way, I would tentatively agree with you on the fellow you mentioned: Jerry Goudy as being among the top five in your opinion but, correct me if I'm wrong, I saw a follow-up report on CNN about those weld repairs, and they meaning NASA, mentioned that they discovered new cracks after the article was posted in the AWS journal so maybe they need to re-evaluate their welding procedures???
There are alot of welding instructors out there that have'nt had the opportunity to have their names mentioned often especially most recently, that have some rather remarkable achievements "under their belts" also, that in fact do not do work for NASA or Lincoln Electric or have worked with NASCAR... To narrow it down to these five would be unfair to "Ask Elmer", and many other highly skilled, and talented people out there, just to name a few...
I also believe that other companies such as: Miller, Hobart, ESAB, Thermal Arc, Fronius, OTC, Jetline, Astro-Polysoude, AMI, MK, Magnatech, and a bunch of other well- known entities would also have a different opinion on this query so, to narrow it down to five would not be all-inclusive, but then again, that's just my opinion...
I think that if you include all of the industries out there, you could'nt just mention five because, some of the noteworthy candidates could'nt be mentioned in detail as far as their achievements, and the type of work they perform are concerned...
Nonetheless, this was an interesting query!!! Even though it was posted on more than one board...

Respectfully,

Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-30-2003 18:36
I'd have to see em weld. Best can vary a great deal depending upon the peer group one is in. An article or writeup does not adequately showcase the skills and manual dexterity required for all situations.

Could these guys tig weld a root in a pipe with a 3/4" gap with little to no whining ?

Weld the blind side of a joint with the only thing to go by is what the person on the other side is telling you.

Change from Aluminun, to CS, to SS, to NiCu, and so on and know how to weld it without opening a book ?

Weld with either hand holding the ennd of the torch handle by only the fingertips and still pass RT .

Walk the cup around a 36" pipe and keep the bead width within < 1/32" all the way around.

The "Best" can vary considerably. The list above could go on and is not indicative of things I can do but things I have seen done. Thise people you mentioned may be very skilled. They are at least "Famous" in some circles. Unfortunately very few articles are written about people in skilled trades unless some comercial prodcut can be associated with them. Lincoln, Miller, Nascar blah, blah, blah.

Well theres my opinion. I saw a guy cap a 6" CS pipe with 1/8" 7018 without looking that looked better than most pipes rolled out in a shop.

Y'all have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Ranked somewhere in the top 99.9% of the welders I have ever seen.

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-30-2003 20:45
Hey, Pipewelder 1999!!!
One of my best friends used to sing: "I am I, and I am me, and I'm the BEST I've ever seen!!!" You also forgot as I did, to mention UT in some cases also...

I have to agree with what you mentioned also Gerald, for what it's worth... A 3/4 inch gap is no joke, and most of all not easy to pass what method of NDT? Hmmmm, I wonder if those aerospace people come across this type of work often???

frsmijr!!! Famous does NOT mean the Best!!!

Respectfully,

P.S. Hey Gerald! I'm retired so, I do'nt know if I could be included in that very small percentage anymore but, give me an hour or so of practice, and I know I could "Squeeze" in!!! Thanks for your comments G!!!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-30-2003 21:10
The gap was in a 10" Schedule 160 Superheater outlet pipe at a papermill in Panama City FL. RT was performed on the root and 3 passes, then final.

Some of the things that ain't rocket science couldn't be fixed by rocket scientists anyway.

Have a good one

g Austin
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-30-2003 21:16
You notice that I feel I am in the top 99.9 %. by my opinion. There may be cases where others thought I was in that other .1% group.
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 10-01-2003 04:39
Best tig guy I've ever seen is Ross Grimm,Sr.
Especially on aluminum.

In my business, I go into many shops all over western PA and see many welders, but, as far as I can see, Ross is still the best. This guy is awesome.

Employed by Alcoa for many years, he can lay down a weld of length and consistancy I've never seen before or since. (get your vernier calipers out here!!)

No current controls here, just on / off button. A "chicken winger" he never rests on supports, blocks, or the work.
What I know about aluminum welding, I learned from him and will be forever indebted. Just watching him weld was a treat!!
I just wish I could figure how he does it!!

He also worked with a a guy named Henry Paskorz while at Alcoa.
Above the call and duty welds were everyday for Henry as well.

While I do not know Henry and his work as well as Ross's, I do know it to be beyond reproach.

I wish that the AWS had some kind of recognition for individuals like Ross and Henry. They came on as aluminum was becoming a regular, viable fabricating material. Many of the advancements in welding aluminum we enjoy today can be attributed to these two.

Damn, these guys are good.

For whatever it is worth.....

Good Luck-
brande

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-01-2003 07:03
Hello Brande!!!
I'm still waiting to hear from you!!!
Robert Kinsey Sr. is another person that deserves recognition, and so does Don Kowalski from this neck of the woods in the Pittsburgh region...
I already gave this gentleman some names to look up so, I'm not going to ruffle his feathers anymore!!!
Look foward to hearing from you soon, btw, will you be attending the next section meeting? I missed the first one after the summer break because, I got the mailing late!!! Nonetheless, we got an exciting agenda laid out for this year so, I'll be a regular this year!!!
See you there if you're not too busy these days...

Respectfully,

Parent - - By brande (***) Date 10-02-2003 05:36
SSBN-
I feel bad about not contacting you yet. So much going on and the like..
Everytime I think I've got some time, the phone rings. This in itself is not a bad thing, but it often cuts into my personal time.

Yes, I will be at the next section meeting. Let me know-I'll meet you there!

I've been working with the membership committee for the Pittsburgh section. I would really like to pick your brain for ideas on increasing our section's membership.

The executive commitee is working diligently on the late section meeting notices, but as yet have not got there yet! This has been a problem for a long time.

Good Luck

brande
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-02-2003 07:50
Hey Brande!!!
I completely understand when business starts to heat up from time to time in this crazy economy!!!
I already got a few ideas on increasing membership that might be useful to try out... I'll be sure to share them with you at the next meeting!!!

Respectfully,

Parent - - By brande (***) Date 10-03-2003 04:37
SSBN-
There are two meetings this month, Oct 14 and Oct 16-which one are you going to? I can't make both but will go to one. They are at the Steamfitters Training Center in the West End.

Let me know!!

Good Luck
brande
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-04-2003 07:40
brande-
I'm gonna try making it to both but, since you're going to the steamfitters meeting, I'll be there!!!

Respectfully,

Parent - By brande (***) Date 10-06-2003 04:04
ssbn-
I'll definitely be at the Oct 16 meeting.
I look forward to talking with you.
Let me know how to find you there!!

Good Luck

brande
Parent - By welder6g (**) Date 10-27-2003 19:22
I`ve been over the US and am not much of a BS`r ,but you can stick my name in that list and forget about big names.Glen Radovich
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Top 5 Welders in the world