Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding metallurgy
- - By firstpass (**) Date 10-05-2003 00:28
Looking for some good material to create a basic metallurgy class. Has to be able to be understood easily with out a lot of big words. Keep it simple. ETC the need for pre heat and post heat, interpass temp and importance.
ss sensitization, carbide precip along the weld zone. Do you know of any good texts. I have Metals and How to Weld them but would like something to add. Thank you
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-05-2003 09:55
Hello Firstpass!!!
American Technical Publishers (ATP) has some good material that's just what you're looking for, and their prices are reasonable.
If you got this month's welding journal, you'll find some info about what they have to offer in the AWS Product Literature Review brochure that accompanied the journal... You'll find it on page two, in the top right shown as: "Welding and Metallurgy Training Materials"...
In case you did'nt recieve one yet, ATP has a website @:
http://www.go2atp.com
You'll find what you're looking for and more in the website...
I've got to ask you this, have you checked out the AWS's own publication entitled: "Welding Metallurgy"??? I ask this because, this book is an excellent book, and also a good reference for the students in the future...
Just a thought...
Anywho, I'll look for some more leads because, as an instructor myself, I did alot of research locating multiple sources of training materials, and have kept many of them for future reference...
When I compile a list of resources, I'll send them to you via e-mail, and/or post them for anyone else that's interested...
Also, I'm sure that there are other instructors here that have resources to share with you...

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

P.S. ATP also has some interesting .pdf files that also may be of interest in their "Resources" link... Also, they offer some good material for teacher education that you might find interesting...
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 10-05-2003 14:57
Firstpass:
I used the following text as a training tool when I taught full time and recommend it to many:
Metallurgy Fundamentals by Daniel A. Brandt (ISBN 0-87006-475-4). This is an excellent entry-level book with graphics and an explanation of terminology that are designed for those with little or no knowledge of metallurgy. Each section has a quiz at the end which utilizes easily understood process lexicon.

Interpass temp, carbide precipitation, crystal structures, material properties, etc. are very well defined without using too many 50 cent words. The book is also relatively inexpensive.
Good Luck.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding metallurgy