Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help with shakiness in my hands
- - By Kawika Date 10-06-2003 04:19
I'm a new student of welding, and was wondering if there was any addvice that someone could give to overcome this?
Thank You, kawika
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-06-2003 10:18
Hello Kawika!!!
Welcome!!!
I don't know if this will help but, I had a liver transplant on 10/08/97
(Wow!!! it's going to be SIX years this coming Wednesday!!!)...
After about a year or so in my recovery, I went back to school to see if I could still weld. I quickly found out that I still had what it takes, so to speak...
I also noticed that I had this tremor or uncontrollable "shakiness" in my hand that was'nt there prior to my transplant, in fact the tremor was in both hands!!!
I spoke to a physical therapist to get some ideas on how I could reduce the "shakiness in my hands". The therapist suggested to relax, get comfortable with your position with respect to the weld area or joint position, control your breathing better, and to find some sort of support for my wrists that would minimize the localized tremor I was experiencing as a result of being on steroids and anti-rejection medicine (Prograf) which I must take for the rest of my life until the experts can come up with something better...
So, after trying a number of cumbersome support devices designed for carpal-tunnel syndrome, and not getting the results I was looking for, I decided to try a regular pair of athletic wrist sweatbands, and lo & behold!!! The solution to my problem was found!!!
I know that this helps with other people that do not have the same condition as I did, and yet nonetheless - experience the " shakiness in my hands". I mean no disrespect when I say this...
I suggested this to some of my own students, and it seemed to work for them also... The reason behind this is the combination of support, flexability, and freedom of movement offered with the wristbands that was'nt found with any other support device...
In summary, I believe that some of the shakiness can be minimized by controlled breathing, and by finding a more relaxed, supportive position, and a relaxed state of mind.
However, if there is still some "shakiness" then, using the wrist sweatbands that are at least 2 inches wide will help you reduce it to the degree where it's no longer noticeable, and will improve your steadiness when welding... These days, I'm no longer on steroids, and take a lesser dose of the anti-rejection drug which has greatly reduced the amount of shakiness that I no longer use the wristbands when I'm welding, and yet without those wristbands, I could'nt think of giving a decent
demonstration for students back then!!!
I wish you the best of luck, and please let me and others know if any of my suggestions helps you out!!! Also, I'm sure other people in this forum will have some suggestions that may help... Just remember not to give up on trying whatever it takes to steady your hands while you're welding!!! Once you overcome this, your confidence level will increase when YOU notice that your welds improve!!!
Feel free to ask any other welding-related questions that you may have!!! The vast majority of us are here to help, and you'll find a wide variety of experience, knowledge, wisdom, and expertise here!!!
Best of all - it's FREE!!!
One of my most repeated words of advice to my students is: "Practice, Practice, Practice, and when you get so tired that you no longer want to continue, PRACTICE SOME MORE"!!! I also mention:
"Do'nt forget to breathe while you're practicing"...
Look foward to reading more from you soon!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By Kawika Date 10-15-2003 19:04
The sweatbands and the other things in conjuction of each have made
a big difference.
Thanks to all that replied.
kawika
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-15-2003 19:11
Great!!!!!! Glad to hear you found something that works for you.
John Wright :)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-15-2003 22:05
Hi Kawika!

I'm glad we could help out!!! Feel free to ask us any questions related to welding, and fabrication... This is why we are here - to help, and to seek help so, again - WELCOME!!! Please do'nt forget about practicing, and NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 10-06-2003 12:05
Are you SMAW or MIG welding?

First off get as comfortable as possible, then you might try useing 2 hands.

Shaking is not a problem if its not so violent it becomes uncontroled motion.

If you are useing GTAW you might try resting your torch hand on some insulating material and cutting your wire in to shorter sections.
Parent - By Dave (**) Date 10-06-2003 13:33
This suggestion is not necessarily related to shakiness but general ease and comfort when welding with any process. When starting a weld, especially one you intend to make long and continuous, stretch to reach the start of the weld so that you will work into a more comfortable position as you near the end of the weld. I always find it easier to have whatever strain there may be decreasing as I weld rather than increasing.
Parent - - By Kawika Date 10-06-2003 16:25
I will try give your addvice a try today. I'm really ejoying my new
career path that I'm learning, after spending 20 yrs in the family farming business. Thanks for your input, and look forward to learning more
as I read the words of wisdom put forth in these forums.

kawika
Parent - By - Date 10-06-2003 17:42
I had the same problem once before but only when I was getting started back way in the day.They used to call it "Newbie Syndrome".It'll take a few months of getting used to even just sitting down to make it stop since you're new to the heat.Another perspective is "Parkinsons Disease" but that is really a genetic defect and also caused by Long term welding(breathing welding fumes).Since it attacks your Central Nervous System and that's why I see commercials wanting to sue welding companies and ship yard companies. *chuckles* I guess everybody has to make a buck someday! =)
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 10-07-2003 05:53
I find that just putting my other hand on something solid (like the work) is helpful.
Bill
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 10-07-2003 13:08
Sometimes I get rid of shakiness by bracing my hips/rear against something solid next to me (if it's there). Some of the shakiness can come from your whole body moving, which is transferred into the hands. I will actually push against a solid object. Just make sure it's' indeed solid. Hope it helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help with shakiness in my hands