Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking on buying a tig for projects
- - By - Date 10-09-2003 02:51
I need a tig that will weld aluminum,stainless,and regular mild steel so i got my mind set on a Invertec V205-T AC/DC.I will probaly do some other shop projects on different steel and I just need it to weld up to 1/4 inch.Should I go with that welder? I am so interested in a heli-arc welder.I been using gas and I know there's a lot more advantages with tig.
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 10-09-2003 13:01
I have used both the Lincoln 205 and the Miller 200 DX. Both of these machines are capable of doing what you would like, but if you plan on doing a lot of aluminum, I would steer towards the Miller. I have stated in a couple of other posts how I am a big fan of Lincoln equipment, but the miller is the better of the two machines.
my 2 cents worth
Parent - - By dsergison (*) Date 10-09-2003 13:46
well I have to say it,

have you considered a thermal arc 185tsw?

it's in the same niche as your looking, it's about $1750 out the door with gas and consumables.

it quite the rage on the hobard site lately http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/
:) best bang for the buck IMHO.

I bought one to do that sort of stuff and it's been GREAT.

ironically I ordered a dc only vt205 an a huge sale, but they didn't come through so I kept looking and settled on the t/a. I'm very happy with it.
Parent - - By - Date 10-09-2003 14:30
I guess it's all about the brand now.I will probaly just be using the dc+ since i mostly will be welding 1/4 mild steel plate.I need the ac for aluminum.So now I guess it's just picking the brand I want.I might go with the miller or lincoln.I don't know about the thermal arc since I never used a thermal arc machine before.I got money it's now just what brand and what comes with the best features.I am going to do more studying. :)
Parent - - By dsergison (*) Date 10-09-2003 17:34
well, if you've got money and are looking for a brand might I suggest a miller dynasty.

the dynasty 200 costs many hundreds more and is made in the USA.
I think you'll be around 2700 out the door ?, because it starts at 1800 or so without any leads, regulator, amptroll and such.

they both carry 3 year warranty.

thermal arc is thermadyne, they are a big name too, but the ta185 is produced in japan. http://www.thermadyne.com/index.asp

for me 900 is a lot to gain 15 amps.

I just love the arc on mine, but don't have much experience to judge.
there has been SO MUCH discussion lately in the features of tigs it'll be easy to find a lot of better comments than mine.

Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-13-2003 10:41
Hello dsergison!!!

Ahh yes!!! $900 is alot for just getting an extra 15 amps of output but,
that's not all that you get... You also get the ability to use 120 vac input power also!!! Here are a couple of examples where the Dynasty offers more flexability than the TA power source...
1. If I did'nt want to spend alot more just to add 208/230 vac
(Three phase is even more expensive to install) to my home, then I could use the "overlooked" feature that Miller offers...
2. I'm on a construction site, and I want to tap into the existing available power... Now, in order to use their 208/230/460vac single or 3 phase available power for input, I would most likely have to pay the electrician/electrical contractor or be backcharged by the GC in order to use their power!!! BUMMER!!! Not so with a Miller Dynasty!!!!
Man!!! I like those savings!!!
I could go on a little more but, I've gotta go out and save some more money!!! No disrespect dsergison but, I have to strongly agree with brande on the Miller Dynasty over those TA pwer sources, and if they are having performance problems with their parts then, another DEFINITE ADVANTAGE for the Miller Dynasty!!! BTW, I'm not a Miller or any other sales rep but, I have repaired quite a few different brand power sources including TA, and some that were never heard of in the US by a majority of consumers, most of them were pains in the BUTTOCKS to repair...
Hey brande! I'll be at the Steamfitter's on Tuesday, and Thursday so, look for me wearing some crutches (recent hip surgery)... If I feel better, I'll be using a cane... P.S. I've got scars on both sides of my face, and a goatee...
See ya there!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

Parent - - By brande (***) Date 10-11-2003 07:20
Watch the Thermal Arc. Good ideas, something lost on the shop floor.

Yes, they are part of Thermadyne, which has a banckruptcy problem as of late. I'm sure they will get it worked out.

Anyway-I've been a machine tech (among other things-including a CWI) over the past 25 years. What I have seen is that Thermal arc parts can occasionally be a bitch to get.

Take it FWIW, my heart sinks whenever a Thermal comes into my shop.
repair not easy, warranty not easy.

If I was smart, something I was never accused of, I would send any Thermal Arc down the road. I still work on them, though.

The only saving grace is a factory tech at Thermal Arc named Rock.
He is good and often a lifesaver!! They don't pay him enough!!

Hope this helps!

Good Luck

brande
Parent - By Ed Mc (*) Date 10-11-2003 13:32
Brande,
T-dyne came out of Chapt 11 back in May of this year.

With the number of T/A185 units they are selling I hope they are stocking repair parts, especially since I own one. No regrets on it or the Cutmaster 38 plasma purchased. Both have 3 year warranties.

Valid point you make from your experience with these units, especially for some one using them to make a a living. Mine are for personal use so being without a couple of weeks for repair would not be a problem. I'll keep the tech's name in case of future need.

Thanks,
Ed
Parent - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 10-12-2003 02:09

I have an Invertec V-205 and like everything but the price. Nice machine. If you really want to do aluminum, might a square wave machine be better? (Anyone out there know?) You can save a bit of dough by going with a CK torch and pedal.

CHris
Parent - By phox Date 06-02-2004 09:27
WRT the Miller unit, Miller has told me specifically that the Dynasty 200 is only capable of a max of 150A on single-phase power. Might make it a bit of a poor investment. I'm looking at a 300 DX myself... and maybe that new weldcraft 300A air-cooled torch.... =)~~~
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking on buying a tig for projects