Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Is there a degree in welding education
- - By cccasey (**) Date 10-15-2003 12:00
Has anyone heard of a bachelors degree in welding education. I'm talking about a specific program for welding instructors? If there is a place that offers one please let me know where.
Thanks
Curtis
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-15-2003 12:40
Hello Curtis,

The only program remotely linked to your description is a bachelors degree in vocational education but, I never heard of a specific bachelors program for welding instructors that offers a bachelors degree in welding education then again, I may be wrong about this...

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By jfolk (**) Date 10-17-2003 19:24
I cannot recall ever seeing a program of study which offered a BS, BA, etc in Welding Education. I have an earned BS and MS in Trade and Industrial Education with a concentration in Welding from a major university. This concentration was based on a journeyman status in welding and subsequent oral, written and practical testing for competency in this specialization. I attended core education classes with others who had concentrations in pipefitting, tool and die, industrial electricity, etc., etc. Hope this is of some value.
Parent - - By welder6g (**) Date 10-27-2003 19:13
Palm Beach Community College offers 24 credits for completion of thier welding program or other state certified program and offers it toward AS in Industrial Management.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-28-2003 10:24
Hi Welder6G!
If you would be so kind to re-read cccasey's original question because, I think you might've misunderstood his question regarding a school that offers a Bachelors degree in Welding Education that is specifically designed for welding instructors, in order to teach the welding instructors how to teach welding technology...
Btw, ccasey - borrowing a phrase from a fellow forum member:"brande"
"FWIW" (For What It's Worth), Lincoln Electric in Cleveland does offer a short course for welding instructors but, no Bachelors is offered...
I do'nt remember for sure but, I think Hobart also offered a short course also, and they too did not offer a Bachelors in Welding Education either...
FWIW...

Respectfully,

Parent - - By don (**) Date 10-29-2003 02:51
You are in a difficult situation, many colleges in the USA have dropped "vocatational programs and education". Basically you have to find a college which offers a general Industrial Arts bachelors degree. Of course you can supplement this with the AWS CWE. This would get you into most high schools. If you wish to teach at a Vo Tech or Junior College You dont really require a degree but it helps. Usually they can hire someone on work experience. A CWE would still look good on a resume though.
Don Murrell CWI/CWE
GCCC/GCHS AWS WElding Program
Garden City, Ks
Parent - - By cccasey (**) Date 10-29-2003 18:05
Thank you all for you input, your comments confirmed what I suspected after searching the net. There doesn't seem to be a specific welding instruction degree (4yr) out there.
Thanks SSBN for your FWIW's and "don" just so you know, I am employed at a community college teaching welding using the AWS SENSE criteria, I have my CWE/CWI as well as an AAS in welding technology. My search was to further my education in a field I truly enjoy, that being, teaching students how to weld. As with any other academic organization my school would like to see me continue my academic education to get a BS degree which would in turn slightly increase my salary. I know there was a big discussion in this forum earlier this year on the subject of academic vs. technical continuing education. I am simply looking for a BS/MS degree opportunity in the field I am in currently. I may have to get my BS in industrial arts then maybe a masters paper in my specific field.
Again thanks for all your help!
Curt
BTW SSBN, I spent six years working on your boats ,the 598 class subs out of Guam and Point Loma San Diego with a 4956 NEC. Its where I got started in all this welding stuff.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-29-2003 18:17
Have you thought of something like Quality Management or something like that. There are other aspects of welding that need to be taught as well, like NDT/NDE and Quality Assurance/Control. These are important in keeping with the welding related activities. Knowing how to weld only enhances your knowledge of how to control quality in welding or which method of NDT/NDE to use to best evaluate a particular weld for the service it will see. I hope you won't give up on your quest to further your knowledge.
John Wright
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-30-2003 11:06
Hi JW!
Iowa State University has got a terrific website that you and everyone else should check out their links page @: http://www.cnde.iastate.edu/idl/IDL_NDE_Links-CC.htm
They call it "The Center for Non Destructive Evaluation" and they got some neat NDE method introductions inside like MT, FPI, RT, UT, ECT...
I love the links page with the NDT encyclopedia and the other reference links!!! Good stuff inside the last time I checked!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 10-30-2003 05:03
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Ohio State University has a 4 year BS in welding. If not there, there is a school in Ohio or Indiana. Perhaps Purde (go BOILERMAKER'S) that does. Good luck

Mike
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-30-2003 08:59
Hi Mblaha!
You are talking about a BS in Welding Engineering from Ohio State University, correct? This school is one of the very few (2 or maybe 3) schools in this country that have been accredited by the ABET (I believe the abbreviation stands for American Board of Engineering Technologies?) to offer BS, MS and PhD's in Welding Engineering.
However, I think ccasey is talking about looking for a school that offers a BS in welding education that's geared specifically for welding educators that wish to further their educational credentials beyond the level where for example; ccasey is presently at...
This is not to say that you're suggestion is'nt a good one!!! oh no!!!
Your suggestion is in fact, a real good one!!! OSU now offers online degrees in welding engineering and/or other related disciplines. Similar online accredited engineering degree programs are also offered at some of the other schools that require only a minimum of actual on campus attendance.
Here's the website address: http://www.iwse.eng.ohio-state.edu/we/
Here's Purdue University's BS in Technology Education curricula-course listings webpage that shows course descriptions (not too much math)
http://www.edci.purdue.edu/tech/courses.html
It is widely known that a BS degree from this (OSU) university or from let's say - Le Torneau, Lehigh, Colorado School of mines, Penn State and Purdue just to name a few (I know I missed a few and I apologize for that) are held in very high esteem when we're talking about welding, materials science, metallurgical engineering degrees that are to be used as necessary credentials for teaching at certain colleges and universities... Some institutions of higher education prefer teaching candidates that have earned an MS or a PhD in welding engineering or any related disciplines these days and a BS would be their minimum requirement for consideration. This is not to say that all schools can find teaching candidates that meet these minimum requirements so instead, some schools will consider candidates with a combination of equivalent education/work/supervisory and teaching (some require at least post-secondary level) experience to fill these positions. Each school bases this on their own unique demands and criteria.
Therefore, meeting these criterions varies from school to school with the the equivalent/combination choice of candidate being very rare!!!
On the other hand, most community colleges require a minimum of a Associates of Science in Welding Technology or related disciplines with preference to any previous teaching experience, and with journeyperson-level or equivalent work/supervisory experience, yet preferring a BS or MS in Welding Engineering Technologies or related disciplines, whether or not they have previous post-secondary level teaching and/or journeyperson-level work/supervisory experience or someone with a BS in Industrial Arts Education with previous post-secondary level teaching experience, and work/supervisory experience at the minimum of Journeyperson-level or equivalent work/teaching experience, sometimes (also dependant on the candidate pool) a combination of work/supervisory and teaching experience (at least post-secondary level) that meets each of their own unique criterions. Talk about having to meet varying standards from school to school, region to region and state to state education department!!! There are also quite a few accredited online degree programs being offered in Industrial Arts Education or just "plain" old (yeah right) Education degrees specific to vocational education methodologies for that matter!!! This may be the route for ccasey to persue, so that he would only have to spend a minimal amount of time on campus if indeed necessary!!! Some programs may even offer credit for actual teaching experience already accumulated!!! However, this varies from school to school and is also different from state to state...
I believe that you have plenty of choices in which to make your own decision as to what route to choose ccasey!!!
Good Luck and all the best!!!

Respectfully,

Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-30-2003 11:02
Hi ccasey!
Small world is'nt it!!! Those "FBM" boats were the USS "George Washington" class or technically speaking; SubShipBallisticNuclear's, otherwise affectionately called "BOOMERS" for all you "landlubbers" out there, if my memory serves me correct???
I believe that the SSBN598 was built in "rotten Groton",CT @ Electric Boat - where it all started, along with the SSBN599 - the USS "Patrick Henry"!!! Now that you mention it, only 5 of this class of boats were built... The other 3 were built at other shipyards which included in succession: SSBN600 - the USS "Theodore Roosevelt" @ Mare Island, SSBN601 - the USS "Robert E. Lee" @ Newport News and last but not least SSBN602 - the USS "Abraham Lincoln" @ Portsmouth. After these came the "Ethan allen" class followed by the "Lafayette" class boats AIYDNKA!!! I hated the "friggin" bilges or inside the super structures and the main ballast tanks on any of the subs I worked on PERIOD!!! The only time I did'nt mind was in drydock after they sandblasted, "gravy baby"!!! Man - I'll tell you!!! "Sherwood Forest" sure got "roomier" when we made the "Ohio" class boats!!! Nothing changed about the engine or reactor compartments or the COC/CIC (whatever) though!!! Still as tight as the crack of well - you know what I mean!!! Let's not forget the lead shielding or the "friggin" batteries!!! Gouging like crazy also in the tanks!! Do'nt even talk to me about pipe & instrumentation hangers or the pipe joint repairs!!! Although, I still practice with my mirror every once in a while just to keep sharp!!! YKWIM!!!
When I got out and got a job at EB, it was weird being called a "yardbird" after being called a "squid" all those years in the service, kind of ironic - do'nt ya think??? USN - SECOND TO NONE!!!
Btw ccasey, did you go to Gales Ferry too???
NTYMI, you might get credit for working with an NEC if you got the doc's to prove it, just a thought!!! If you're ever near Pittsburgh, give me a shout!!!

Respectfully,

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Is there a degree in welding education