Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Internal/External Clamp
- - By GOKHANYAMAN (*) Date 10-20-2003 14:09
Hi again,

Does anybody advise me, as per API 1104, using External clamp and Internal Clamp is essential variable..???

24" pipeline required to weld with using Internal Clamp, but in tie-in points External Clamp shall be used. So, Do I need to requalify the Existing Welding Procedure as per API 1104? or vice versa..?

It is not listed under 5.4 ESSENTIAL VARIABLES... (api 1104)

Thanks..

Gokhan
Parent - By chall (***) Date 10-20-2003 14:59
Although the WPS "shall designate whether the lineup clamp is to be internal or external, or if no clamp is to be used at all...", it is NOT an essential variable and unless specified by the client, does not require another PQR.

If you have some doubt about this, I strongly suggest contacting the client. We've only had a limited amount of contact with the pipeline related industries. In each case there are particular details that specific owner/operators consider more important than others. Since the owner/operator has the ultimate responsibility for what happens to their line, sometimes they make unusual demands. Most clients have a specification regarding the percentage of root pass that must be completed prior to removal of the lineup clamp (if used).

Charles Hall
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Internal/External Clamp