Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What kind of tig do I need?
- - By T0M (*) Date 10-22-2003 23:51
Hello I am somewhat new to welding but am about to buy a tig welder.
I will be doing aluminum pipes, Intercooler and radiator cores, and intake manifolds.

but I will also be doing exhaust and exhaust manifolds, all with 5/16" flanges, as well as suspension parts and tube frame chassis.

I have been leaning toward a syncrowave 350 for the power , but am also being told that a dynasty 200dx would do me fine and I would appreciate the arc control and weld appearance.

any info would be appreciated.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-23-2003 01:38
Hi TOM!
First things first... Welcome to the forum!!!
Now to get back to your question... The Synchrowave 350 does offer a lot of power but, it also asks for alot of power (KW) to run it when you compare it to an inverter type power source!!!
I would suggest you visit the Miller Electric website (although for some reason or another, I cannot seem to get to their site tonight for some reason or another) so that you can compare for yourself the amount of (KW's) each power source draws while both idle and when welding to see these, and other differences or similarities for that matter... The cost of operation differences alone are pretty convincing!!! There are other things to consider, but I think I'll leave that to another forum member named "brande" because he knows more about these, and other power sources than I do!!!
The Maxstar 200 models are some mighty fine inverters if you ask me, and they come with certain features that the synchrowaves simply do not offer!!! Not to say that the Synchrowave is'nt a nice SMAW/GTAW (Stick/TIG) power source, ohh no!!!
The Maxstar is a mghty fine power source when you need portability, the flexability (input voltage auto-sensing feature) to use more input voltages to run 115 to 460 vac without having to go inside the gut's to change the jumper links every time you bring the other machine with you to a different job site that has different primary voltages from the last site, and not go through the hassle of "schlepping" for an electrician or moving the humungous Synchrowave, then the Miller Maxstar 200dx is one way to go... However if you're looking for more power that's close enough to that of a Synchro 350, then the Miller Dynasty 300 is the way to go!!! This power source also is available with pulsing capabilities that in my opinion really blows any other comparable American made power source out there for the features, and price!!! Oh Yeah there are foreign made machines that many will say are better but, try getting the same reliability for the price, service, parts availability, and warranty that Miller offers!!! By the way, I'm not a salesman so - let's get that straight!!! I have seen alot of machines come and go in my time as a welder, equipment repairman, technologist, and instructor although, not as much as my friend "brande" has who is a regular here also!!!
Lincoln Electric, ESAB, Thermal Arc, and others do offer alternatives but,
as another forum member named "brande" states, (he's been servicing all major brands of welding power sources for over 25 years!!!) "None are as good or offer the same reliability as the Miller Dynasty"!!! He even has a Synchrowave which he rarely uses nowadays because in his opinion, does not get the same performance or arc characteristics with the synchro as he does with the Dynasty!!!
In a nutshell, Buy the Miller Dynasty... You'll be happy that you did!!!
If you do'nt believe me then, I'll leave it to "brande" to convince you if I have'nt done so already!!! You can't beat the flexability, and features!!!
You know, maybe I should try my hand at sales after all, I used to almost always bail out the sales department when I worked for this "Indy" distributor awhile back!!! Who knows, I may have found my true calling but, I do'nt know if I'm a suit person!!!
Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-23-2003 12:11
SSBN

You have found your calling. Don't say another word until Miller gets that check in the mail. >snort<

I would say your great at slinging the Bull except that most if it aint bull :)

Dynasty is all its cracked up to be. Its versatile, portable and can take a little giggling around without goin to pieces. Still it breaks my heart to see the ol Synchrowave 250 relegated to the scrap heap. Tell your pal I'll gladly take his!

PS. Just a little question. What use does the average garage welder or job shop need with an expensive pulse option on a GTAW rig. Please just give me a few off the top of your head. Ive had this one stuk in my craw for a long time. Seems like a lot of money is spent in pulsers and spot timer options that will never be employed.

It makes me think about pulsed migs....... oh no, I feel a rant coming on. Ed Craig help me! :)
Parent - By kekoakeakane (*) Date 10-23-2003 14:26
My opinion is that pulsers make up for less than stellar technique. I'm new to GTAW and was trying to butt weld 26 GA stainless. I kept warping and melting through until I decided to try the pulse function on my Dynasty 200 DX. Turned the pulse freq to 120, background to 10% and time at peak to 60% and was able to fusion tack pieces together with no warpage or blowthrough. Sold me.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-23-2003 14:27
Hi Lawrence!
This gentleman who asked about the 2 Miller choices he had in mind, made it known that he was going to weld alot of thin gage aluminum tubing, castings for the manifolds, exhaust parts, radiator cores, etc.
Unlike the older 60 to 120 hertz pulse rate found in the older models which I personally also was unimpressed with when they first came out with pulse as an option... These newer machines can really achieve true pulsing from zero to a substantially higher amount of pulses per second mostly due to the inverter's already high frequency and the "marriage" with the pulsing feature!!! (way over 250 hertz) Pulsing was made to marry with the digital inverters in order to really show it's potential!!! The older power sources could not do this!!! This gives you more control in the amount of heat input which is critical for thinner materials, and especially with aluminum out of position... Machine like looking welds are the norm with stainless, nickel stls. where heat input is also a factor to control by using the pulsing option... The main feature (balance control) I like about these newer inverters is the opportunity, and ability to customize the shape of the arc plasma stream which was previously a welders pipe dream!!! Now it's a reality to customize your arc so that fillet welds with any metal but, especially with aluminum have the ability to concentrate or constrict the arc so that the heat input from the arc is going to where the welder wants it to but, previously could not with the older power sources!!! Forget about it!!! no more fussing with the wolfram MAN!!! No more worrying about the ball of the tungsten dropping off!!! Penetration where it's needed, fusion of the root to the likes unseen before!!! How's that for a rant??? Hey! do'nt get me wrong, I still love those synchrowaves but, the inverter has finally arrived!!! Remember the old Pow Con inverters when they first come out??? Man were they a nightmare!!! this next genration of inverters seem to be a natural for all those bells and whistles of yesterday!!! Then coming to your neighborhood soon in the not too distant future will be GTA welding that looks better than plasma as far as arc constriction is concerned, and more like EBW without the necessary vaccum chamber unless your in space somewhere... Oh Yeah, it's called "True Square TIG" but it does'nt look anything like GTAW!!! It's not a hybrid process either!!! When this comes out and you combine it with pulsing well, you get the picture? Gotta go take a power nap so adios amigo!!!
Btw, laser assisted GMAW hybrid welding is going to make GMAW-P look like what STT (Surface Tension Transfer) made short circuit look like - Obsolete......
Respectfully,

Parent - - By T0M (*) Date 10-23-2003 18:17
well it sounds to me like my main problem with the syncrowave is going to be the amount of power it draws, I dont know if my garages wiring is setup to handle that much.

I cant afford a dynasty 300. So the best I could do was a dynasty 200dx. but I dont know If I am going to have any problems with the dynasty being able to weld 5/16".

the 5/16" flanges would be welded to 11 gauge and 18 gauge tubing. so since I cant penetrate more than the thickness of the thinnest piece, I dont know If it could be considered welding 5/16" .

also on my suspension parts, of the lots, I will be doing camber bars and racing rear subframes using solid steel rod. this Is where I am most concerned that the dynasty 200 will short.
would the 200 be up to snuff?

I have noticed on the skill level chart on millers website, it places the dynasty as requiring more skill than the syncrowaves, why is this?

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-24-2003 06:25
Hi TOM!
The Miller Dynasty 200DX will do just fine for the type of work you're going to do!!!
As far as the skill level is concerned, go to your nearest Miller distributor before you buy, and ask them to let you operate the machine...
You'll find out soon enough if this machine is too hard for you to handle!!!
GO FOR IT!!! Good luck, and all the best!!!

Respectfully,

Parent - - By - Date 10-24-2003 14:29
Hey guys,I have a question too for purchasing a Tig unit.Say if I just had around $1,500 to buy a machine with all the accesories and a bottle of gas but what should I do when I get very good at tig and then want more features as so would a bigger and costly tig machine would have.Thats a question I have because I got so many other welders in my garage that I have never should have bought.Should I just buy a big unit that produces certified aero tig welds or just buy a begineers tig and regret that i bought it?....Should I learn the features of a big unit and then be happy but I don't want to screw nothing up on one of the more costly tigs out there such as a precision tig 375 and boy I've always had my eyes on one of those baby's :)....I still don't know what should I do but I might just keep on earning some more money!
Parent - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 10-24-2003 19:49
You might want to consider the Lincoln Invertec V205-T. It'll run you like $2500 for everything but then you'll have a portable unit which will always be useful.

The Miller Dynasty machines are great, from all I've heard, but they are very costly. Less tweaking is (usually) a good thing for me.

Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What kind of tig do I need?